Chapter Seventeen (XVII)

Sapphire

I think it was twenty when Acheron finally let up. I couldn't feel my body, which was nice. But, it was still dark outside... Looking at the clock, it said it was two days later than last I looked at it.

I couldn't even lift my head, let alone a finger. My stomach growled savagely to be fed. Acheron was nowhere in sight, but I could tell he was still in the house. A couple minutes later, he came back with bottles of water and a plate full of sandwiches. 

"I know you're hungry." He chuckled, setting the plate on the nightstand, sitting back down. He pulled me into his lap, holding me up. "Here, bite." I took a bite of the sandwich, moaning as it hit my stomach. "After so long, it has to let up for a moment to feed and re-hydrate." I kept my head on his chest as he fed me, enjoying the break period I was granted. After two sandwiches, I had enough energy to move my limbs again. Three more and my hunger was sated. "I've reached out to the Elders... They've agreed to push the trial until after the Compensation has passed." I really didn't want to discuss this right now. "It needs to be discussed, Saph. I know you don't want to, but you need to prepare yourself." I closed my eyes, holding back tears. "Let's get you a bath and a nap before it starts again." He pulled me into his arms, carrying me off to the bathroom. It screamed luxury, unlike the house. 

He turned the knob to full blast, and the water steamed out. One thing I did notice, water was always warmer here. It was boiling hot for those of fire using or us dragon beings. 

Once the tub was filled, he sat us inside the warm, soothing bliss. It gave my sore muscles relief and eased my mind. I relaxed against him, feeling sleep loom. "Rest, Mir Jairere. Let me take care of you while you rest." 

No objections to that... No objections at all.

***

Acheron

I had pulled her from the tub and dried her off after washing her down. She was out cold, but I could sense the next flair coming up. She was greatly weakened by the Compensation and I hated to think she was just allowing me to do this because I wanted to. I just wanted to ease her pain. I could hold her, plant kisses on her... But it wouldn't truly stop the pain. 

I tucked her into the bed, placing a kiss on her forehead, and went off to prepare some more food for later. It had been two days before it let up, it would probably be another two, and another two, then finally, come to an end. 

I managed to get some meat marinated, but not cooked, before her sweet, sweet scent became overpowering. 

Mate needs us. My dragon purred at me. 

Not now. She's sleeping. I argued with him.

Not for long... Her beast awakens. I heard her stir and felt a twinge of pain in my gut. She hadn't even gotten a thirty minute nap before her own body turned against her. 

Going to her, she was writhing in a ball, crying in pain. I pulled her into my lap, holding her tightly to  my chest, ignoring the pain. 

"More... More, please!" Her breathless sobbing made my heart ache, and my dragon growl possessively. I flipped her over and lost control to my beast.

*

Sapphire

Bliss. Bliss replaced the sorrow... But only momentarily.

I awoke alone, with no trace of Acheron in proximity.

Acheron? I got out of bed, about to go to the bathroom, but before that, the evidence of the Compensation was not even there. He had changed the sheets before taking off, while I was passed out. I called for him again, still no answer.