Chapter Nine (IX)

-Acheron-

Of course, it saddened me that my mate couldn't have kids. Most species, that'd be a deal breaker for mates, and they'd reject them off the bat, but I'd never do that to Sapphire. I searched too long for her and I wasn't going to let her go over something petty.

I was sitting in the office, making sure my companies that I co-owned with Gaston and Asløv were running smoothly while we were away. It was a couple days after our return from Thelrissia and I wanted to make sure Sapphire was comfortable in her new home. I would never expect her to work, but if she wanted to, I'd let her.

A strong pulse in my gut that felt like I just got suckerpunched hit me, which meant something was wrong with Sapphire.

It was midnight, she had fallen asleep not too long ago, but she hadn't been feeling well most of the day. She brushed it off and blamed it on her period. Then, I remembered her telling me something about having abnormal cramps and days where it would feel like her insides were being stabbed and churned with a knife. She didn't want to be touched or bothered those days.

I went to our room, seeing her curled up in a ball, a pillow pressed to her pelvis, and tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Sapphire?" She peered up from the pillow, obvious pain in her eyes. She moaned in pain and the only thing I could think of to help, was to grab onto her and hold her. She didn't want to be touched, though.

"I'm sorry... I'm trying to block it..." She sobbed into the pillow. I couldn't fight my basic instinct. I climbed in bed beside her, slowly rubbing my hand in circles over her belly. She immediately fell slack, no longer fighting the terrible pain.

"Better?" She nodded, sniffling. I pulled her against my chest, continuing the same motion on her stomach, feeling her finally ease. We laid like that for a little bit until she shifted. She rolled over, wrapping her arms around me. I continued to rub her side.

"You're like a giant heating pad..." she murmured. I chuckled, rolling my shoulders.

"As long as it eases your pain..." She hummed before she opened her eyes.

"Why were you in the office?" I tucked a lock of her soft hair back.

"Just checking on stuff. I couldn't sleep." We ended up talking aimlessly until she fell back asleep. I had called for Erzsi to see if she had anything that would push it away for awhile.

"Her body is also changing, her organs are hardening and taking to the immortality. Had she been born a dragon, she would not have to go through this. But, as for her human issue, it might not go away." We were whispering, as to not wake her.

"Has her major scar tissue healed?" She did nod.

"Yes, but Endometriosis is... different. The tissue that grows inside her uterus also grows outside, or outside instead of inside. I'm not sure her genes kicked that out the door, but it'll be beyond painful for the next few days. I do have something that will put her to sleep, it'll just shut her body down to basically a coma, and she'll sleep while her body changes." She handed me a vial. "Only a few drops." Sapphire stirred, quietly groaning in pain. "One drop to weaken, two to put her to sleep, three if it gets really bad." She looked over to Sapphire. "Poor girl must be going through hell that I cannot imagine." I gently rubbed Sapphire's arm, keeping some sort of touch on her. "The mate bond seems to calm her. That's both good and bad at the same time. Good, meaning you two are extraordinarily close and your bond is strong. Bad, meaning she has to depend on you." I pursed my lips.

"Better than being alone for over two thousand years." Erzsia shrugged and nodded once.

"I suppose. If you need me, I'll be in the mortal realm for the next couple days."