Chapter Four (IV)

-Sapphire-

I was sweltering when I woke up... Like wrapped up in a cinnamon bun and baked.

All I smell is cinnamon and vanilla... I tried to stretch, but I had something constricting me. Opening my eyes, I saw arms wrapped around my waist. I looked over, seeing Acheron fast asleep.

And for some weird reason, even though I literally just met him a few days ago... I felt happy here. I felt safe.

I guess it was this "mate" thing.

But it really wasn't fair, if you thought about it. We didn't get a choice on who we saw if we met them... unless, of course, you broke the bond by rejecting them.

Don't get me wrong, Acheron was a very handsome man and a very beautiful dragon... But, I didn't exactly know him yet... Or exactly what the hell I was and how to control it...

I slid out of his hold, padding off to the bathroom. As soon as I relieved myself, I went to the sink, throwing water in my face. When I looked at myself in the mirror, my eyes were softer, and I noticed my neck was sore. I sat on the counter and lifted my hair, seeing a tribal dragon on the back of my neck. It was his mark.

I dropped my hair, then dried my face off. When I went back to the bed, Acheron was just waking up. He looked to my empty spot and then my way.

"When did you wake up?" He asked, covering a yawn.

"A couple minutes ago..." I purses my lips, trying to recall what happened-

"You shifted last night, if you're trying to recollect." He told me, getting out of bed. "An adorable baby dragon, if you're wondering." I rolled my eyes at him. "You fit in my hands... Got scared of your own tail, nearly nose dived to the floor and then fell asleep in my lap." I bit the inside of my lip, trying to hold back a blush. "You're young. Us born as dragons didn't change into our humanoid form until we were about fifty years old. You're a baby in our eyes as a dragon... and, literally."

"How do you change at will? I mean... I don't-"

"Just imagine yourself as a dragon... But, I'd get naked, first... You ripped your clothes when you shifted... it makes no sense, but you get bigger before you get smaller." I covered my face. I heard him laugh. "Why don't we go outside? Just dress in a robe, loosely tie it, and it'll just slip right off when you shift." He got up, grabbing a super soft Terrycloth robe from the pile, handing it to me.

I sighed to myself before going to the bathroom and changed into the robe. When I went back out, he was waiting for me, talking with Asløv.

"We'll meet you at the portal." Acheron looked upset. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What's wrong?"

"My father... My mother sent word he was sick and in his spring in Thelrissia, trying to get better, but it doesn't look like he is." He rubbed his forehead. "We should get going... The time passes differently in the other realm. One day in Thelrissia is three here..."

"That's quite a time change..." I muttered. Luckily, I had nothing waiting for me at home that needed tending to.

"It is... But, you probably should shift before going outside. I don't want the others seeing you naked." I snickered.

"Possessive much?" My stomach rumbled and the smell of cinnamon rolls only grew. "I smell cinnamon rolls..." He arched an eyebrow at me.

"Nobody made any..." I sniffed around, only to find it coming from him.

"It's you! Why do you smell like that?" He chuckled, standing up.

"Mates smell each other differently... To me, you smell of peach cobbler and Bavarian cream, with just a hint of vanilla. We all have our scents, it's different to everyone for everyone. Asløv, to me, smells like wintergreen, giving him a 'cool' edge... He's an ice dragon. Gaston has this cinnamon burn to him, like Fireball, and he's a fire dragon." That piqued my curiosity.