Chapter 7: At The Zoo

Start from the beginning

There was a reason why George attempted to lure the kids away from the giraffe. It was his favorite animal in this place. He wanted to prevent harm coming to it. All worried he led the kids to the furthest end of the zoo and showed them the beauty of this desolate place. The graceful unwary creature chewed leaves of a tall lone tree standing in the middle of a wide round sandy area. Only a wide trench and a pile of stones separated the giraffe from the rest of the world.

Cory jumped over the obstacles and walked to the animal. Her intimidating fearless eyes were stuck on giraffe's. George tried to follow her, but Kevin stopped him. He gripped George's hand and said, "Stop. Don't interrupt her. This is what we came for."

George struggled to make a choice. But in the end, his love for giraffe was just too strong. He jumped over the trench and rushed towards Cory, but it was already too late. The girl stroke the side of the giraffe. A tiny ring on her finger shimmered, and the beautiful animal fell down like a giant sack. She took out a napkin and stroked animal's neck then tucked it in her pocket.

"What have you done?" asked George.

"It was a self-defense."

"No, it wasn't." George stared at the girl waiting for an excuse, which was not provided. "Will it ever get up?"

"Yes, after a day or two," replied the girl and walked away.

Shaking his head, murmuring words to himself, George led the children out of the Zoo. He took a seat on the same bench outside, where he had shown his character before.

"Is there anything else you wanna see, or is this going to be enough?" George did not hide his anxiety to get rid of the siblings.

Kevin whispered to his sister a couple of sentences with a malicious smile. Cory's face expression turned evil and she began scanning George with her eyes. A long silence passed while Kevin waited for Cory's reply. She turned to him, said a few words, and they snickered as two jackals about to get their teeth on a hurt pray.

"It's time for us to leave," said Cory. Kevin stood beside her, covering his mouth. She spoke with a soft tone, positivity and kindness streaming from her words. "You're a fine man George Bottlemore. I am sorry for my brother, he is such a fool. The history books didn't lie about your kindness, your wisdom. Best of luck to you in your adventures."

Warmth filled George's chest. Could it be that the children were decent after all? Could it be that the kids appreciated his work after all? He said, "Thank you."

"Goodbye." Cory touched George's chin with a smirk on her face. The ring on her hand blinked, George's head jerked backward. He passed out.

******

A sharp stench of rotten eggs was the first thing George could feel when his consciousness returned. It was soon blown away by a warm wind. How long have I been asleep? Must be night by now, George reasoned, gathering strength to open his eyes. His chest felt heavy, head dizzy, the pain on the neck and the left shoulder was almost unbearable. He shook and a weight hanging on his neck shook together with him. As he opened his eyelids a surprise waited for him. During his long nap, two homeless people from a local dump befriended him. There was a man in torn and worn leather jacket embracing him from the right side, his bushy beard tickling George's cheek. An old, short lady lay on the bench to George's right, her head lying on his lap.

George shrugged and tried to stand up, but the combined weight of the couple proved to be too heavy. He put his left hand between him and the new friend and pushed the man away. He was being gentle at first but later had to use his whole strength. He lifted lady's head, moved to the side and got up. The couple held on to him with their sticky hands till the very end.

On his way back home he played with the tool he received from the kids. He even pressed the yellow button pointing it at himself a couple of times to improve his mood. Why is everyone so evil there in the future? George spoke to himself, I'll zap the next person that comes through the portal I don't like. Yes, that's what I'll do. And push that button on their belts to let the scrubs go back to their scrubby world. Ha ha. He accidently touched the red button while pointing the pencil to his leg. His knees bent, fists clenched and teeth chattered. All trembling he cursed the thing and tucked it behind his back.

It was long after midnight when he got home. All tired, he dropped on the bed.

That night he had a dreadful dream. He worked in a huge mansion as a servant of the children, did their biddings and got zapped each time he disobeyed or made a mistake. Their menacing laughs and childish commands echoed in the giant halls everywhere he went. There were a lion and a giraffe wearing collars on their necks. And when George went to his room in the dream world, a collar appeared on his neck too. It choked him until he passed out there and got up here.

Wearing only trousers with his eyes closed, he walked to the computer and turned it on. Waiting for it to boot up, he glanced at the clock. 10:10 AM blinked on the screen.

Damn it!

He rushed downstairs, not bothering to dress up, listening to the weird sounds coming out of the kitchen.

Was mother on a holiday? Blood surged to George's head. He panicked.

The last few steps he took in the corridor were careful and silent. He extended his head from the corner of the kitchen. Steam was flowing from boiling water pots. A pan frizzled somewhere in the smoke. A figure moved in the fog, a little taller than the mother.

"No no no no," said a female voice, "Why you do this to me? Why? Ouch!"

A pot fell on the ground and a young woman ran out of the fog backward, shouting an annoying "Eeek!" after seeing George.

She was of the same age or younger than George. A tight gray uniform starting from her knees going up to the neck highlighted the muscle lines on her arms and tights. A white emblem of mechanical clock shone above her chest. Her straight long hair was tied behind her back and fell on a small backpack. Two cowboys' weapon holsters were tied to her metallic time traveler's belt, long pistol handles stuck out of them and swayed from side to side as she got closer to George. Shiny white teeth shone through her tight smiling lips, narrow sparkling eyes gave her a flavor of craziness.

She spoke the following words in such way that it appeared she must have learned them by heart. "Great George Bottlemore, it's an honor to meet you. My name is Sally Buckleface. I'm a time police officer, a lieutenant of the time corps."

"Nice to meet you, Sally." George extended his naked hand through the corner. It was met and violently shaken by Sally's.

The fog increased with each passing second. George chose the wellbeing of his hide over dignity. He said, "If you'd excuse me." and ran to the pots, disappearing into the fog.

"I just wanted to make you breakfast." The girl said, sad and disappointed.

After a few clicking sounds of the stove, the fog started to dissipate, revealing a mutilated chicken in one pot, raw potatoes in another; inside the pan lay a couple of blobs of a black mass, what might have been eggs some twenty minutes ago.

"Now, young lady," he spoke, putting the dishes under an open tap, "what brings you here?"

She passionately replied, "George Bottlemore, I came here to save the world and I need your help!"