Chapter 2

Daryl looked at the H/C haired E/C eyed girl standing near him wearing black distressed skinny jeans, black pink Floyd tank, black combat boots, a camera backpack on her shoulder, and A camera in her hands. "Hi. Names Y/N Greene" she said winking at him. He blushed and looked away from her. He could already tell she was going to irritate and piss him off. He could tell she was cocky with a smart mouth and probably won't take his or anyone's shit. He remembers the girl who came riding in on a horse picking up Lori saying her last name was Greene so they must be sisters. "It's really rude not to interface yourself back" he heard say looking to see she was standing right next to him. She lifted her camera taking a picture of him. "Fuck off!" He growled. "Only if you help big boy," she said laughing as she walked away. Daryl blushed hard putting his head down. Yup, she was definitely going to irritate him.

  Everyone was standing around for Otis' memorial while Hershel talked. Daryl had learned that Maggie and Beth were the younger sisters of Y/N and Hershel was her father, the kid Jimmy was Betus boyfriend, Patricia was the wife of the man Otis who was killed while he and Shane went to get medical supplies to save Carl. He could see that she didn't fit in with everyone in her family. He was staring at Y/N she was beautiful, the outcast and he knew she was an outcast because he was an outcast too."I need to know what his death had meant" he heard the woman Patricia say. Shane stepped up to the stack of rocks and started talking snapping him out of his thoughts. "Okay. We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. "We've got to save the boy." See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. "Run," he said. He said, "I'll take the rear. I'll cover you." And when I looked back... If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his." He said putting a rock on the top.

  Daryl looked at Y/N who was looking back at him with that look of I don't believe a word he said. Afterward, everyone walked off and he and his group started setting their camp. After everything was set up they gathered around the car with Hershel to talk about searching for Sophia. He saw Maggie and Y/N walking over and Maggie spread a map out over the hood placing a few small rocks on the corners to keep it in place. "County survey map. Shows terrain and elevations." Maggie said. "This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organized. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick said. "Not you. Not today. You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out. And your ankle... Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody." Hershel told Rick and Shane.

   "Guess it's just me. I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." Daryl said. "I'll go with you. I'd like to help any way I can" Y/N said looking at him. "Nah. I'm good" Daryl told her but by her smirk, he could tell she was coming whether he liked it or not. "I can still be useful. I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back." Shane said. "All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right." Rick told everyone. "That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them." Shane told Rick. "prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp. I wish my eldest daughter wouldn't carry one all the time" Hershel said. She just scoffed at that and rolled her eyes. "All due respect, you get a crowd of those things wandering in here..." Shane started. "Look, we're guests here. This is your property and we will respect that. First things first: Set camp, find Sophia." Rick said.

  "I hate to be the one to ask, but somebody's got to. What happens if we find her and she's a bit?" Shane asks. "I think we should all be clear on how we handle that." He says. "You do what has to be done," Rick said. "And her mother? What do you tell her?" Maggie asks. "The truth," Andrea tells her. "I'll gather and secure all the weapons. Make sure no one's carrying till we're at a practice range off-site." Shane says. "I do request one rifleman on the lookout. Dale's got experience. Our people would feel safer, less inclined to carry a gun." Rick says to Hershel Who nods his head. "Thank you." "That stuff you brought, got more antibiotics, bandages, anything like that?" Maggie asks "Just what you've seen." Andrea tells her. "We're running short already. I should make a run into town." Maggie says to her father. "Not the place Shane went?" Rick asks. "No, there's a pharmacy just a mile down the road. I've done it before." Maggie tells him. "See our man there in the baseball cap? That's Glenn, our go-to-town expert. I'd ask him along just to be cautious." Rick says.

  Daryl walked off towards the woods "Hey!" He heard from behind him. He ignores it and keeps walking. "You can't get rid of me just so you know," Y/N tells him not walking beside him. "Do ya even know how to use that thing?" He growled. "What my gun? Yes! I'm registered I would be smart since I traveled all over the place alone" she said. "Ya traveled?" he asked. "Yeah. I'm a photographer well was. I traveled all over the world. But I came home when I heard about the outbreak" she said. "Well good for you daddy's little girl" he growled. "I'm far from daddy's little girl. That's Beth. I have always rebelled against my father. I don't believe as he does, I was always in trouble, dated guys that were no good for me that...... hit me" she said. Daryl looked at her and kept walking. They came to an abandoned farmhouse.

   Daryl started walking in but stopped when he noticed Y/N stopped and started taking pictures. "The hell ya doin?!" He growled at her. "Taking pictures. It's what I do. Before you and your group showed up I would go out and photograph everything. I went to Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. I'm documenting this new apocalyptic world" she said. "We're here ta look for the little girl!" He said. "I know I'm going to check around back," she said walking around the house. Daryl walked inside looking around. He found a space where Sophia could have held up and run outside. "Sophia!" He yelled. He walked overseeing a white flower and touched the petal. "A Cherokee Rose," Y/N said from beside him. She lifted her camera and he went to more his when she said "No keep it there" he stopped and she took a few pictures. When she was done he picked the flower. "It's for Carol the little girl's mother," he said. She smiled at him and they started back through the woods to the farm.