Chapter 12 - Roone

Damn it! Where is she? I searched in every nook and cranny and there's no trace of her inside. My head is filling with horrifying thoughts, each one worse than the last. Icy shivers puncture my chest, forcing me to stop for a second and breathe out the air from my lungs. I ignore the strange pain as I try to clear my mind and focus on the next step. I don't have time to waste on this.

Alright, think Roone! Think, goddammit! I haven't spotted anything suspicious all night. That's good. If Iron Guard decided to gate-crash the party, we would have definitely known. I've seen Blondie earlier with the rest of the team, and Ilya is with Matt. If everyone is here, then, where is she? Great, I start to puff again. I haven't had any drinks tonight, why am I so slow? I bite my knuckles in despair, as I always do when things get out of hand. Somehow, it calms my nerves, grounding me to here and now. Knowing how stubborn and childish she can be sometimes, I am thinking she must have gotten outside all by herself. I rush up the stairs, praying to all gods out there, that I find her harmless and not in the hands of the rebels.

This time it's all on me. I don't even know what's gotten into me, to lose my temper like an effing teenager. Gosh, just by thinking about it makes me lose it again. So, what if I saw them so close together? It's not my business whatever might be happening between them. Thank God, Matt was close and stopped me, or else, I would have beaten the living daylights out of Blondie. Big rookie mistake and that won't happen again. It shouldn't have in the first place, but since I've met her, I don't recognize myself anymore. Maybe I'm too overprotective, having known her for such a long time... Otherwise, I have no idea why I am behaving the way I am when I am around her. Either way, that's not an excuse. I should have watched her, instead of fooling around and letting Blondie make his move on her.

On my way out, I pass by a few creeps making out on the stairs, the green lights painting them in goblin-like creatures. Once out the cellar door, and into the toxic smell, I hold my breath while I figure out my position. The small chamber looks even worse than before, the bright moon unveiling its degrading state. A thick mossy blanket spreads over the fallen concrete slab, while a few specks of grass grow triumphantly towards the open sky. The archway, that once served as the front door, frames a magnificent painting, so peaceful and yet so majestic. It's such an unearthly feeling to witness the celestial sphere shooting its silvery rays and draping the meadow in a soft and silky fabric.

A few steps and I find myself under the clear moon, away from the vestibule and its intoxicating smell. The breeze feels nice and soothing, bracing me mentally for what's about to happen next. I decided to trace Nerissa's steps back to the city and with a little luck, I will find her before she gets into any trouble. I start walking, but as soon as I reach the tree barrier, I hear a couple of muffled sounds coming from behind the ruin. I follow them blindly hoping that my prayers have been answered. I can't believe this! There she is, leaning on the wall and puking her heart out. I watch her relieved as I welcome the surge of emotions swirling inside me. I feel both cold and warm at the same time. Lighter, in spite of my heart being stranded from seeing her like this. Why did you have to drink so much? I leave the stony corner behind, moving in silence and closing the distance between us.

'And of course, she can't hold her liquor.' I let it out, not thinking too much about it.

I'm sitting just a few steps from her, arms folded across my chest. I am glad I found her safe, although I'm pretty sure I'm the last person she wants to see right now. She gently wipes her mouth with the back of her hand, and shifts her piercing stare in my direction. Auch. I was right. She really doesn't want me here.

'Shouldn't you be busy with Celia or was it, Samantha?' She whips back, her sharp words stinging more than it should.

Woah, where is this coming from?