9.

Calum's POV

I wake up before Jes the next morning. I sit up slowly so as not to disturb her as she sleeps peacefully beside me. I grab my phone off the bedside table and scroll through social media. I don't know what to expect. Our fans had been as stunned as I was when Jes ended our engagement. They'd seen my devastation and unfortunately that meant that now, as we tried to piece our life back together, not everyone would be thrilled.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that most of the comments on our posts are positive, centering on how cute Paisley is. I smile as I read through them and the ones saying they're happy Jes and I have worked everything out. I frown at the few negative remarks and remind myself that those people, they don't know about us.

I glance over at the woman lying beside me. She's so beautiful while she's sleeping. Her hair spread around her head like a crown, her lips parted slightly and just barely moving with her even breaths. My eyes trail down to her left hand. It's resting beneath her head and the sparkle of her ring is clearly seen. The location of a piece of jewelry has never affected me so much. Its presence on her ring finger causes my heart to skip and my throat to tighten. She's mine, I get to wake up to her for the rest of my life. I roll onto my side and run my fingers through her hair. I wonder what she dreams of? I hope it's happy things and not the nightmares she's prone to.

I hear Paisley begin to stir through the monitor so I ease myself from the bed, careful not to wake Jes up. I step quietly into the room next door and am greeted by the sweetest smile.

"Dada."

"Good morning bubs! You ready to get up?" I ask peering down into her crib at her. She extends her arms to me and I oblige by scooping her up. She leans her head against my chest before leaning up to place a sloppy kiss to my cheek. It's the little things like this, that make me unbelievably excited for a year at home.

I hold her head and lean her forward, peppering her face with kisses as she squeals with delight.

"You wanna help dada make mummy breakfast?"

She nods her head yes and I begin the walk to the kitchen. Once there I put her in her high chair with crayons and a coloring page to entertain her.

"Hmm... what should we make Pais?" I open the refrigerator and gaze through the selection. "Alright our options are yogurt and fruit or bacon and eggs. Pick Pais." I hold out the options for her to pick from and she points to the bacon.

"Alrighty that's sorted." I grab the pan from the under counter storage and set to work. I fry the bacon until it's crispy. Then I crack the eggs and scramble them pouring them into the pan once its hot. I'm just putting everything onto to the plate when a loud scream comes from our bedroom.

Chill bumps spring to the top of my skin and my hair stands on end. I toss the pan into the sink grab Paisley and rush upstairs. I throw the door open to find Jes tossing in the bed in the throws of a night terror. I place PK on the floor and shut the door so she can't escape while I deal with this. I quickly move over to the bed and reach out to Jes. She flails in the bed, shrieking like she's being attacked. Sweat coats her skin and her face is scrunched in anguish. Paisley is on the floor and begins to cry as she hears her mother's screams.

"Jes! Jes baby, wake up. It's just a dream. It's just a dream. You're safe. I'm right here." I try to calm her with my words but she can't seem to hear me. I finally crawl onto the bed with her and wrap my arms around her shoulders. I use my full body weight to keep her from turning and after a minute her screams finally subside and she opens her eyes.

Pure fear is hidden in her blue eyes as they connect with mine.

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here. Everything fine." I tell her as I hold her close and rub her back. She sobs into my shoulder and I try not to let my mind wander too far into what her brain has shown her to send her into this kind of fit.

"I'm gonna get P okay?" I ask softly and she nods. I grab the baby from the floor and hand her to her mum. Paisley throws her arms around Jes' neck and in a few moments her cries die down as well.

"Jes, what the heck?" I whisper. "You said the nightmares were back, you didn't say they were so much worse."

She shrugs her shoulders and refuses to look me in the eyes. "You had so much going on. Everything's been so screwed up, it's not like you could have done anything about it." She says softly reaching out to rest her hand on my knee.

I hear the emotion in my voice when I reply "I still would've liked to know. I would've tried to think of something. I'd have found some way to help you."

"Nothing helps." She says sadly as a little piece of my heart snaps in two.

Once Jes freshens up with a shower and makes it downstairs I set out her breakfast for her. She thanks me and digs in. I join her at the table with my yogurt and fruit and hand Paisley a plate of eggs and soft fruit.

"Thanks for making breakfast babe. I'm sorry about this morning."

"Jes, don't apologize for things you can't control. You didn't ask to go through the things you have been."

She just nods and squeezes my hand.

"Would you feel up to the boys and their girl's coming 'round today? Well everyone except Mikey and Crystal, they're still on their honeymoon."

"Yeah that's sounds fine. I'm sure they have a lot of questions."

I just nod and shovel another bite of yogurt into my mouth.

"I'll give them a call once I clean up breakfast. Why don't you go relax on the couch for awhile. Maybe cuddle with Paisley, that always makes me feel better."

She pushes back her chair and grabs the baby on her way out. "Thanks for breakfast sweetheart. I love you." She says pressing a kiss to my cheek before going to lay down.

I'm so worried about her. I feel like just in the short few hours of this morning she's pulled away from me some. Like she doesn't want me to understand. But we're Cal and Jes. I know her. I know that this is caused by the shit with Mark. I know she probably needs some real help. She needs to talk to someone who can help her learn to process everything she's been through. I can't watch her go through whatever this morning was again. It damn near broke my heart. I have to find a way to help her.

An: I apologize that this is filler but I wanted to give you an update! I've been SO busy this weekend because my best friend got married and I was a bridesmaid! I'll update again tomorrow!

Vote and comment! I love to hear from you!

Ily!
Sav 🖤