Chapter 13 - Hiccup

Written by Foxhound15
Song: Everything I Own by Bread

Chapter 13 - Hiccup

Life is like water, it can be calm or it can destroy your life in a split second. I felt like water right now: calm, but feeling like my father would kill me if he found out about Jack. What if he did? Would he send a thousand ships? What am I going to do? Should I stay quiet about this? I laid in bed thinking for a long time, thinking about all of the questions that stirred through my head. "Hiccup!" my father yelled, "Wake up lad!" "Coming dad!" I groaned as I got out of bed. The day would continue no matter what, I couldn't stop it from happening. I got out of bed and stretched to wake myself up. As I stretched, I heard a tapping noise on my window. I walked to the window and opened it, looking down to see Astrid. Her blond hair put up in a messy bun and looked up at me. She glared at me and yelled, "Are you going to just stand there and stare at me! Get down here now!" I stood there for a few seconds and realiazed, this was the first time I had ever seen Astrid furious. What happened? For some reason, I did just that. I walked down the stairs and through the door to be face-to-face with her. She glared at me saying, "You dumped me for a boy!" My heart sank, she knew? "Shut up Astrid," I said as I walked past her, "You don't know what your talking about." "Of course I do," she said, "I saw you last night!" I turned around quickly and looked at her in the eye, "What!?" She smirked an evil grin, "So I was right, wasn't I?" she said. I took a deep breath and tried to continue to walk, but she grabbed me by my arm and said, "If you don't want me to tell your father, dump the boy and stay with me." I didn't know what to do, if my father found out I was a dead man. "Give me some time," I said and she laughed saying, "Let me know in a week Hic." She left me there as she ran down the hill back to the village.

I'm. A. Dead. Man. Walking!

What am I going to do?! I looked for Toothless first, to feed him and to fly with him. I walked down the hill and to the forest to find Toothless. I walked around for hours looking for him and finally found him in the brush asleep. "Toothless," I whispered, "Dinner." He opened his eyes and smiled at me, ready for his morning meal. My mind kept going back to what Astrid said to me, "If you don't want me to tell your father, dump the boy and stay with me." I shook my head to get it out of my head, but I couldn't.

So to distract myself from my confusion, I flew on Toothless's back. We flew away from the village northward. We flew to one of the islands nearby. When Toothless landed, I dismounted and walked into the woods. Toothless followed me as we trekked through the wilderness. It took an hour for us to get to the destination I wanted us to go to. I stood there in front of a pond and stood there staring at the spot where I met the most important person of my life. I remembered Jack's mischievous grin when we first met. For some reason he knew I would fall for him. I sat down and contemplated on what to do. Should I end things with Jack? Or should I be brave and go against my father's wishes?

I sat there for hours with Toothless contemplating on what to do. What would happen if my father did find out? I would probably be disowned! I won't have Toothless anymore and I will probably die on the wilderness alone! My families' reputation would become horrible if anyone found out. I can't do that to my father. But Jack is my everything and he is the only one I will ever love. Since the first day I saw him, I fall for him harder. He has never left my mind since I first met him. I love him.

I stood up knowing what my answer would be for Astrid when I saw her again. I would tell her that I am in love with Jack and I wanted to be with him forever. But I sat down right away when I remembered my father would find out. Oh boy, loving him is going to be the beginning and end of me.

I flew back with Toothless to go talk to Astrid. I walked to my house and opened the front doors to find my father talking to Astrid's father. They were talking about something important, you could tell from the joyous expressions on Astrid's father's face. He left and my father turned to me saying, "Hiccup I have some good news!" "What is it father?" I asked curiously. My father smiled gleefully in reply, "Astrid's father and I arranged for the two of you to get married!" I stood there dumbfounded, how could this happen to me?! "Isn't that great lad?" he asked and I nodded slightly. "I'll see you tomorrow my boy," my father said as he watched me go upstairs to my room.

Once inside my room, I locked my door and sat on my bed processing what had happened. I walked to my dresser and opened one of the drawers to discover the purple scarf with blue stripes that was suppose to be given to Astrid for Christmas. Of course I forgot to give it to her because I was with Jack a lot then. I picked up the scarf and carried it as I walked to the fireplace. I set scarf on the rug as I started a fire. When I got a fire up and ready, I picked up the scarf and threw it into the fire. I watched as it burned in the heat of the fire, each thread of it disappearing from the intense heat. "Goodbye Astrid," I whispered, "I hope someday you will forgive me." I sat there watching the scarf burning in the heat of the fire, the purple and the blue became black. The scarf disappeared, disintegrating into the ground.

I went to bed that night planning on what I would do with the changes of events. Now that I had to marry Astrid, I had to change some of my plans. How would I be able to be with Jack? It doesn't matter how far I have to go to get away from Astrid if it's with Jack.

I plan on being with him until forever ends.