Chapter 26

Another week had passed and there were still no sign of Austin anywhere. Each passing day we would try to contact him, but he hasn't returned a single call from any of us or even sent us a text, even a blank one.

We tried to ask Mr. Moore again about Austin, but he wasn't home when we went there, none of the Moore's was. The maids also didn't know anything, they knew as much as we do, and that only heightened our frustration even more.

By Thursday, we found out that someone had been picking up Austin's school works so Austin could work on it wherever he is. On Friday, Michael had skipped class to try and figure out who's been picking up Austin's school works but was unsuccessful in catching him. So, now, we're currently at the parking lot of the school trying to figure out what we'd do next.

"Maybe he's just really busy with the business stuff" Rachel suggested when none of us could think of what we should do next. "I mean, someone is picking up his school works and dropping it off, so that means he's just busy and can't come to school for a while" she continued.

"How long does business matters even last?" Sandy asked and we all looked at Ethan for answers.

He shrugged. "It ranges from days to months, depending on the situation"

Months?! Austin could be gone for months?!

"But, there aren't any deals that the Moore's are trying to seal as far as I know, my parents usually know about everything that happens with the businesses the Moore's handles since my father is part of it all" Jace inserted.

I could they all saw the crestfallen look I had on my face, because then Rachel suggested that we go to the mall for ice cream to, hopefully, get our minds off of the Austin situation.

Upon arriving at the ice cream parlor, I went to find a seat with Ethan, Jace, and Michael while Rachel and Sandy went to buy our ice creams.

Jace sat next to me and he immediately placed a supporting hand on my shoulder as he sat down. I gave him a sad smile out of courtesy and turned to look at the TV screen near the counter. It was currently showing the news.

Apparently, there had been an accident last week and foul play is suspected.

It wasn't helping me lift up my mood, but I still got hooked into it.

"Did you know there has been an accident?" I couldn't help but ask Jace when I saw the name of the street; he was the one nearest to it. "No, not really. I haven't been watching the news" he said, his eyes furrowed in concentration as he, too, watched the news.

We missed everything that the reporter was saying but, when we looked back into the screen, I felt time stop for the both of us.

"Hey, are you alright?" Ethan asked when he noticed that both Jace and I were staring at the TV screen with eyes wide and mouths agape. Michael looked at us because of this and gave us the same questioning look Ethan was giving us.

Ethan turned to look at the TV screen, but he had just missed what Jace and I saw.

That car

That car is familiar, too familiar for comfort. It may have been wrecked, but I can't forget that car.

"Jace!" Rachel called out. I snapped out of my thoughts just in time to see Jace's retreating figure exit the ice cream place. "Stay here" I ordered the four, not bothering to explain as I ran after Jace.

It can't be.

No.

Not again