Chapter 10

What Jace had told me was quite contradicting to how I was seeing Mary. But, can I really blame her for that? Though it's weird because the things Jace told me about her were good, yet she treats him like she treats me... and Jace is pretty much aware of that.

It's kind of hard to miss when she would always roll her eyes whenever we pass by each other, and she would make sure that we see it.

Jace is too precious for this world.

Jace said she's a warm-hearted woman, always caring and thoughtful of the people around her. But I haven't really seen her interact with other people other than her group of friends. Though, if I'm going to base it on how she acts around her friends, then what Jace said is true.

They were kind of an odd group, their personalities don't exactly match one another but, for some reason, their friendships work. I accidentally saw Mary with a friend in a deserted part of the school before when I was walking around to memorize the layout of the school. Her friend was crying and Mary did everything she could to comfort her friend. Then, after training, I decided to drop by at the mall to buy mom and little Jasmine a gift. There, I saw Mary and her friend again. It seemed that she brought her friend into an ice cream parlor for more comfort. Her friend's eyes were still red but she kept laughing at whatever Mary was telling her.

I can tell that she's good at that.

"Is Mary consuming your mind again?" Jace suddenly uttered from beside me which made me turn my head to look at him. "What?" I asked, shocked.

"Well, it's just that, whenever you would space out like this, Mary is usually the one you're thinking of" he stated matter-of-factly that made me chortle. "You don't have any proof for that" I said in a victorious manner but it was immediately cut short when he replied.

"You always ask something about Mary after spacing out"

"You're so damn observant" I grumbled underneath my breath that made him laugh at me. "Amnesia or not, Mary still consumes your mind" he said mindlessly that made me stop and stare at him. I felt like I wasn't able to understand anything when he said that.

What?

I wanted to ask him, but it also felt like I lost my ability to speak. When he noticed that I wasn't speaking anymore, he turned to me with a questioning look in his face. "What's wrong?" he leaned back in his seat but I just shook my head and continued to stare into nothingness.

Austin used to think of Mary too?

But, then, what did he do to make Mary hate him so much?

Is it related to his feelings for him?

"D-Did I use to talk about Mary a lot?" I finally found my voice to talk and Jace was kind of taken aback by my question. It took him a while to think of an answer, but, after a while, he finally found the appropriate words.

"To be honest, I thought something was going on between you too. After having so many meetings with them, you and Mary suddenly clicked. It was weird for everyone at first because you were a bit of a playboy; jumping from one girl to another, a bit literally." For some reason, I was surprised by those revelations.

Nobody every told me that Austin was a playboy. When girls kept coming at me a week after his supposed return, I just thought it's because they really like Austin.

He probably has a past with all those girls.

That simple thought alone made me want to barf all over the place.