Took Too Long To Connect

Jinki took a deep breath, slowly turning the door knob, unsure if he wanted to even go in. His eyes were glued to the floor, trying to get the courage to look at Minho. He heard a soft sniffle come from Kibum, and he wondered for a second if he had cried.

"Are you okay?" A phrase Jinki never thought he'd hear from Kibum.

He looked at Kibum, his face red and puffy.

"I'm not really sure" Jinki answered softly, looking from Kibum to the wall behind him.

"It's even hard for me to look at him" Kibum looked spaced out for a second.

"Do you think he'll..?" Jinki couldn't finish and Kibum met his eyes.

There was this look of desperation in his eyes, and Jinki wondered if he had the same look.

"I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't" Kibum was truthful, Jinki could feel it.

And Jinki realized this was the first time he had really talked to Kibum, no games, no secrets. But Jinki turned away, eyes closed, preparing himself to see what he was dreading. He counted down for himself, taking in a breath and letting it out as he opened his eyes.

Even if he knew Minho was alive, the motionlessness of the man hurt in ways he didn't imagine. Jinki reminded himself that Minho was just sleeping, he'd wake up and he could hear his voice again. That didn't stop his tears as he approached Minho, wanting to touch him but scared he'd shatter.

"Minho.." He wanted to say more but the words wouldn't come out.

There was a painful silence as Jinki was holding back sobs.

"I should probably tell you, it's thanks to him we got out of there" Kibum spoke softly, "He was scared something would happen, so I watched you"

"You.. stalked me?" Jinki turned to Kibum shocked.

"It was only going to be for a week, until Minho was sure you were safe, you were never supposed to find out" Kibum explained and sighed, "I thought he was being too cautious, but we were kidnapped so he tracked my phone"

Jinki didn't know how to feel, knowing it was thanks to this that he's alive right now, but he still had an unsettling feeling in his stomach.

"I understand if you're upset, neither of us expected you to be happy about it" Kibum told him, his eyes on Minho, "I don't know if Minho ever expected to see you again"

"Did he not think I would come back?" Jinki asked, although unsure of his own answer to the question.

Kibum shook his head, "In this kind of life... you just get used to letting people go, we're each other's longest friends"

Jinki looked back at Minho, his eyes sympathetic as he thought about how Minho must've dealt with their parting.

"How was he.. the day I left?" Jinki found himself asking.

"Are you sure you want to hear about it?" Kibum asked, and Jinki thought he had a point.

"I.. I think so" Jinki assured him, his gaze still on Minho.

"In all honesty, he was a mess" Kibum began, "I had to take care of his work only to come back to him hunched over the sink crying"

"Was I that important to him?" Jinki looked to Kibum now.

"He walked into danger for you, I don't think he's done that for anyone else" Kibum answered, "The favors he asked me to keep you happy and safe" Kibum chuckled, although there was a sad look in his eyes.

"Is that why you broke up with Jonghyun?" Jinki wondered and Kibum nodded.

"Minho knew I was using him for work" Kibum revealed, "So he asked me to cut it off before I really hurt him"

"That was probably for the best" Jinki nodded to himself.

It was silent for a second, the two now looking at Minho. Soon, Kibum shot out of his seat, the slightest movement from Minho setting the two off.