Chapter 16

Remus was in his room, crying again.

They were gradually getting louder and louder; he was almost sure that the whole of Thomas' consciousness could hear him.

But, that feeling was still there.

It wasn't right, none of it was.

His bed was cold and empty without his lover there; his Deceit wasn't there to cuddle him, nor make the bad dreams go away.

Instead, he's wide awake, obviously sleep deprived, and exhausted.

But when he turned over, now facing the wall, he heard a knock. Then the sound of his door opening.

Then, there was a weight, suddenly added to his bed, and he felt someone wrap their arms around him, snuggling close.

He started sobbing even harder, to the point that his lungs and stomach burned.

He knew exactly who it was.

The smell, touch, everything.

It was Deceit.

Remus was too much in the moment to realise what he was doing, before he reached down and grabbed one of Deceit's ungloved hands, pulling it upwards, and hugging it close to his chest.

The snake like side took this as an opportunity to speak up.

"Look, I know that you probably don't want to hear or see me, because I know that you're not ready yet, but-"

"I-I don't-" Remus choked on a sob. "I-I don't care, please. Please... make it stop. Make it stop hurting..."

So, Deceit snuggled as close as he could, whispering in his ear, telling him that it's okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I want to open the letter." Remus said, sitting up with a groggy throat after two hours of solid crying.

Deceit sat up behind him.

"Do you want me to go then? I mea-"

"No. Stay, please."

Remus snapped his fingers, and the crinkled, green envelope appeared in his hands.

With a shaky breath, he turned it over,
and delicately unsealed it.

Pulling out the piece of folded paper, he moved his legs to the side of the bed, so that his feet touched the floor.

Deceit did the same, then wrapped his arm around Remus in support.

His heart wouldn't stop thumping in his ears as he unfolded the paper, and moved it closer to his left, so that the deceitful side could read it easier.

Remus,

I know that it must've been hard for you to bring yourself to read this.

Knowing you, you're probably crying right now. And you always did look beautiful when you cry.

But I just wanted to say that I am so sorry, I really am.

But don't you dare blame this on yourself, okay? It's not your fault, none of this is.

However, I wanted to explain why I did what I did.

It's because I was in pain. All the time, and I wanted it to stop. But no matter what I did, the pain of feeling like a burden just worsened.

I couldn't take it anymore.

Of course, you helped. And it seemed that you were the only thing that made it all better.

You kept me smiling.

But you have to understand that you couldn't keep me happy forever.

To be honest, I never thought that I would ever be writing this to you, and this is probably the shortest letter out of them all.

But it's just really hard for me to write this, as it probably is for you to read.

But I love you, okay?

And I need you to cuddle Mister Slithers whenever you get lonely.

Or go to Remy and/or Emile, they can help you too.

I love you. I love you so, so much, Remus. So much.

Please, stay strong for me.

All my love,
Dee Dee
xxx

Remus folded the piece of paper, tears freely falling as he sniffled.

Deceit only held him as close as he could, a small spark setting off in his head, as the memories of his past life, suddenly came flooding back.