Chapter: 42

Rustling sounds coming from the backdoor of the house, makes me turn my direction to the backdoor when I am just about to head outside. 

God, help me if it is the neighbor's dog deciding to mark its territory.

Recently, I have found our neighbors own a bear dog and trust me from that moment, I haven't stepped into my backyard alone. Because that dog scared the shit out of me when I found it on our backyard, growling at the Bobby who is just peacefully standing in the shed.

Bobby is a BOB dummy which Pops uses to practice his punches and even sometimes it becomes target of my kicks too.

Carefully, I go to the backdoor and poke my head outside by slightly opening the door. Just when I am about to close the door, my eyes land on the box placed in front of the door. Stepping outside the door, I crouch down and notice the box is slightly open from the top. 

Narrowing my eyes, like the contents of the box will suddenly become visible, I stare at it for a solid one minute. Then my curiosity gets the best of me and I open the box. Before I can even properly look into the box, something small jumps at me making me fall flat on my butt with a loud squeak.

My body relaxes when I find a familiar-looking feline in my lap. 

"Frisky?!" I scratch behind her ears and smile, "You look bigger now." I laugh when she licks my hand.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her as if she can understand me, even when I know who might have brought her here. The only response I get from her is a small meow.

I notice there is something like a small scroll attached to her collar. Placing a small kiss on her head, I take it out and laugh when she settles in my lap after doing a small circle, as I open the scroll.

Please forgive my human. I know he is an idiot for hurting you, but since you are my favorite human and because of him I have met you, so I am asking you to forgive him.

My smile instantly vanishes reading it, as a pair of feet come in my sight. Raising my head, I see Alec standing with a small, but unsure smile. I stand up while picking up Frisky and look at him impassively.

"Hi," he says in a quiet voice, trying to read my expression.

"I have clearly said that I don't want anything to do with you, so what are you doing here?" I ask him firmly, getting directly to the point.

"No, you haven't said anything like that. You said if I value my life, I will not talk to you or show you my face," he replies.

"So?"

"So, maybe I don't value my life." He shrugs holding my gaze steadily, "Maybe I value our friendship and you more than that."

Breaking the contact, I sigh.

"Please don't say such things when we both know you don't mean them." Leaning down, I place Frisky back in the box and pet her head before standing straight.

"I mean what I say, Avery." He stuffs his hands in his jeans pocket, sounding a little bit desperate. "Our friendship matters to me, even more than you can understad. Before you, I really never had an idea of what is like to have a real friend in my life, but now when I know, I don't want to lose our friendship."

"Alec, like any other relationship, friendship is also based on trust and understanding. If we don't have that, then I don't think there is much in this friendship to hold on." I shrug, while my heart falls in my stomach as I voice my thoughts. 

"I trusted you when I knew nothing about you, even now I know there is a lot more which I don't know about you. But still, I trust you. While you, instead of trusting, judged me. Whenever I had any questions I asked you, but never assumed things on my own. While you just made assumptions without knowing the truth. Instead of trying to find the reason behind my behavior, what you did?" Wrapping my arms around myself, I look at him with a small rueful smile.