Chapter: 17

When I wake up the next day, Alec was already gone which not surprising. Last night he stayed here with me, but he used to only sit with me when the waiting area was empty. When someone used to come and sit, he casually went to take a stroll. He thinks I didn't notice this, but I did. However, I haven't mentioned anything to him. 

I thought about our talk a lot, he said he doesn't want anyone to know about our friendship. And then also he was there for me like a true friend would,  even when I have stated that we can't be friends. Maybe he has some reason, behind why he said that, which he doesn't want to share with me, yet. 

Moreover, a bond of friendship is between two people. It shouldn't matter whether the world knows about it or not, right?

Alec is so damn confusing. I have seen him around others, he is a complete opposite to how he is with me. That Alec is intimidating and reserved, however, he is not arrogant or rude to anyone. The Alec who is with me is slightly open and relaxed, he jokes and smiles. Even though he doesn't express much, but still, his eyes express a lot.

Alec has an enigmatic personality, yet, it is strangely easy to be myself with him.

Groaning voice of Pops snaps my attention back to him. A smile stretches on my lips when his eyes open and, after roaming around in the room, they land on me. Relief passes through his expression when he sees me. Swallowing hard, I restrain the tears which are threatening to escape from my eyes.

"Hey, Avy," he breathes and blinks.

I launch myself into his arms and hug him, while he lightly rubs my head.

"Pops, I thought you are going to leave me," I pull back and look at him.

"I cannot leave you until I am sure that you will be okay without me," he gives me a small smile.

"Then you are never going to leave me, because that day will never come," I sit on the edge of the bed, clasping my hands in my lap.

Before we can continue our talk conversation, the door opens and the doctor enters the room. I wait outside the room as the doctor examines Pops.

When the doctor left the room, he informed me they are shifting Pops in the room. And in a day or two, they will discharge him as everything seems normal.

To say I was relieved is an understatement.

Later in the day when Pops was shifted in the room, many people stopped by to meet Pops including Jake. I spend most of the time, sitting on the small couch in his room. 

"Avery, go home," Pops slightly turns his head towards me, "Take some rest then come back later."

"No, I don't want to go," I protest and lean back more into the couch.

"You are looking like one of the zombies from Warm Bodies," he exasperates, "Go home and return back looking like a human."

"I am getting a headache by looking at your zombie version," he dramatically touches his temples with both hands.

"Wow! You are saying that I look like a zombie?" I shake my head in disbelief, "Have you seen your self? You are looking like a homeless druggie," Leaning forward I narrow my eyes at him.

"I never knew homeless druggie looks handsome," he gives me a smug look.

"I don't want to go," I whine. 

I am afraid I will go and something will happen to him. This sounds stupid, but I can't help it. The torture which I went through yesterday has placed this weird fear in my heart. I want to be with him, just like his shadow.