[Beta] Chapter 26

Obito sputtered, "Wha-what?! Why would I kill you?"

     "We have to show that we're serious, " she replied back bluntly, still somehow smiling. 

     He stopped trying to dodge and let her down, gently shaking her shoulders with a stern look on his face. "I'm not going to kill you."

     Rin gestured to her friends, who had stopped fighting to analyze what they were saying and trying to figure out if it was a trap or not, "I mean, I can't really tell them to do it... They'll feel guilty about it later."

     "And how am I any better?" he asked, irritated. 

     She opened her mouth and paused, "It does seem cruel now that I think about it. Especially since what happened earlier with Zetsu..."

      Pondering on for a second more, she trailed off, not wanting to finish her sentence. "Well I guess I have no other choice."

     "Good, now let's just-"

     "I'll just kill myself."

      He stared at her wide-eyed with disbelief, "Do you not understand what I've been trying to do?"

     "Don't worry, " she chuckled, "Nothing feels worse than getting a chidori to the heart... Except for being stuck in oblivion, repeating everything over and over and realizing everything you've done wrong."

     After that Rin winced, "Too soon?"

     "Yeah."

     She grabbed a kunai from his pouch and muttered, "See you in five minutes."

     With that she slit her throat, collapsing into a pile on the ground. Even with the dark edges that crept into her vision, she could see the horrified faces of Kurenai, Asuma, and Gai. 

     Obito quietly sat her up from the pool of blood on the ground and laid her next to the tree. He didn't say a word but awkwardly stared at her dead body, inwardly counting down the time before she came back to life.

     "She isn't coming back, " Asuma stated, "Although whatever you've done to make yourselves physically look like that..."

     The Uchiha shook his head briefly. "She'll come back. You'll see."

     Kurenai didn't know whether or not to capture him right there and then but he hadn't used a single drop of chakra. The three of them were a bit exhausted physically and mentally from the small excursion. If they decided to take him on without what was holding him back, it might not end as they would like.

     However, he hadn't done anything hostile against them other than resisting capture. "Alright, we'll give you five minutes but that's it."

      A painstakingly five minutes passed and to their surprise the wound on her neck had slowly healed bit by bit to the point where someone couldn't really notice. There was a slight possibility it was a kekkei genkai but no one had one where they could return from death. Otherwise, Orochimaru would have had their hands on them already.

    Eyes fluttering open, Rin's brown orbs settled on Obito who stared intently at her. Coughing up some of the excess blood from the gash, she rasped, "Do they believe us now?"

     She looked to their hesitant gazes on her before murmuring, "So they're unsure. We are shinobi after all!"

     Smiling, she began to laugh before being thrown into another fit of coughs. Her throat felt as parched as though she had walked through Sunagakure for a couple days without water. Trying to stand up, she wobbled, almost falling down in the process. 

     "Everyone's here now, " she whispered before her mood turned somber, "Except for Minato-sensei and Kushina-san... Narrator-san, will I be able to protect who's left?"

     The question went with the wind and was left unanswered. She didn't need it anyways because it was inevitable.

     It's impossible to protect everything.