•Sixteen•

"It's really good seeing you again, Damien

"It's really good seeing you again, Damien." Silas broke the silence as I take a seat in the chair in front of a dark oak wooden desk. I spot a small fire burning in the fireplace off to the side of the room. The room is not dark, but the dimmed lights shining in all different angles help make the room seem warmer and more inviting. I also noticed that not much has changed since I was here years ago. He steps away from his liquor cabinet with two glasses of brown liquor in hand. Stepping beside me, he hands me a glass and I watch as he rounds his desk and takes a seat.

"If I'm honest Silas, I never thought I'd find myself here." I chuckled but I stopped as I noticed his brows furrowed. Not wanting to offend him, I quickly help up my hand, "Not like that, Silas. No, what I meant is that I never imagined coming back here because not too long ago I left my family and was hell-bent on leaving this life I was born into. I was ready to give it all up. Now here I am, the boss of the family I loved but had to leave because of him. I also have the woman I've fallen desperately and completely in love with on my arm." I explain.

His expression softens as he smiles but we both know that he's not clueless about my family's dilemma with Caine or my former outlook on women and being in love. "I remember the night that Ink brought you here. I won't sit here and lie and say I had agreed to Ink's request of bringing in a Heart," he huffs "not at first." I nod my head in an understanding gesture as I bring the glass to my lips. I take a swig and kept quiet as I continued to listen to him.

"Your father Caine is the sort of man I try to stay clear of. You know how this business can be. Hell, half of the state despises me and my business, turning their nose up in judgment. The other half begs to be allowed in, usually, they want total discretion." He lifted his lips to an amused smirk. "We wouldn't want the people of the state of California to learn that people they'd known for years or elected into office have taboo desires, would we? How would an outstanding member of the church look if the public would learn who they truly were?" He hums with amusement. I softly chuckle, knowing he's speaking of people who are well known in his community of the state.

"Having any connections with him could have made things a lot harder for me than they already were," Silas explains as he chuckles and takes a drink. "I'm not talking about the illegal bullshit your family messes around with. Hell, the Governor of California is one of Ink's top customers for that fine Colombian snow, as well as a monthly client of my own." He gives me a smirk, sliding his desk drawer open, and then pulled out a tray that holds a plastic bag of cocaine, a card, and a tight rolled-up bill. He takes a deep breath as I continue to watch him as he places it onto his desk.

"I myself am known to dabble in the devil's candy from time to time but," he paused and begins to chop the cocaine with the card as he shook his head. "Caine Heart—that man brought a whirlwind of chaos with him. The kind that sucks the life right out of you. The man idiotically let himself fall apart and allowed the drugs he sold to take over him. He never cared who saw any of it. In his position, no one can afford to get sloppy; unfortunately, that's exactly what he did." I watch as he scrapes the cocaine into lines and sighed. "I didn't want that shit anywhere near my business. Anyone who wanted to make money would have said the same." He justifies, as snorts a line of cocaine. Flinging his head back, he quickly pinches his nose and lifts his head back towards the ceiling as he lets the cocaine slide down his nasal cavity.