25

I couldn't sleep.
My mind was racing.
Miles never gave me any information, only the instructions to run no matter what.
I had to act normal the rest of the day and that was the hardest thing for me to even do.
We couldn't be seen together he said, he disappeared into the break room and I stood in the hallway trying to gather my thoughts.
I didn't know what to take or leave.
Should I carry light?
How would we manage to get out and be on the road with no car?
Money?
Phones?
No real destination?
I couldn't overthink because if I did I wouldn't leave and I wanted out.
This was my— our only chance to be together.

As I lay in bed counting the craters on the wall, listening to the ticking of the clock, counting the seconds in my head all I could feel was these butterflies going mad inside of me. I have never felt like this, with or for anyone.

My eyes began to grow heavy as my ears began to go deaf, my body began to sink more into the mattress.

I'm not sure how long I was asleep but I remember waking up to the strong smell of burning, then I heard the blaring of the fire alarm which made me open my eyes wide and that's when I saw the smoke cascading around the room from under the door. I began coughing instantly, covering my mouth with the sleeve of my sweater. I sat up and looked around slightly lost, was I dreaming?

Then I heard the screaming coming from the hall, panicky I went to the door, touching the door knob I turned slowly, peaking slightly. I saw chaos, everyone running rampant and laughing screaming. Everyone was out of their rooms. Some were scrambling, others where dancing around screaming and hooting, staff was out numbered to say the least but some tried to gather the patients and others where calling and trying to figure out what was going on.

I opened the door wider, looking down the halls and I saw the flames coming from the stairs burning through the doors in a matter of seconds and I heard screaming and crying that's when the panic began because it started coming down to our floor at lighting speed. I quickly closed my door and I tried to think.

Was this Miles doing?

This was his idea to get us out?

Burning the ward?

Fuck!

Think Evie, you have to act quickly.

Placing my hand over my head I started pacing and grabbing things and I quickly made a cattier with my bed sheets, but instead I just took my journals and I threw the makeshift sack over my shoulder and I turned to leave. I stepped into the hall of chaos and I began running for the opposite direction from the fire, remembering we had one more exit on the other end of the hall.

I looked behind me seeing the flames engulfing the rooms quicker than anything I have ever seen, and everyone running away and scattering to different directions to escape the fire. I saw Marble at the end of the hall hiding in a corner crying, my heart tugged at me as I looked at her riddled in fear. I stopped and I hesitated to help her but then I felt a rush pushing me down the hallway and I quickly held on to my sack and I began to run with the crowd.

Everything felt so surreal, the smoke was getting heavy and I was covering my mouth trying to take small breaths in my sweater, my eyes getting watery from the smoke becoming so strong and I could feel the heat. I was to scared to look behind me, i began to feel the adrenaline in my kick in, the pile of people on the staircase trying to get to the nearest exit was becoming overwhelming. So many tears, screams and fears it was like being crushed into a sardine can with a few too many. My body was being crushed and I felt weak, my heart was racing but my fear was crippling my legs and I was feeling like I couldn't move.