11. PAUSE

❃

DARYL LOOKED AT Remmi, grabbing her hand and bringing it to his lips. The ring on her finger glistening as the sun came up.

"Should we wake them up?" Remmi asked her husband. "You know Eva likes to watch."

"Ben don't though," Daryl chuckled. "Yeah wake 'em up."

As Remmi woke up the twelve (Ben) nine year old (Eva) up, Eva woke up no problem, excited to watch the sun rise whilst Ben just laid his head back down.

Remmi looked at her husband as he had one hand on the wheel and the other placed with hers. She noticed his freshly cut hair and stubble that was cut the day before they left. She looked back at their children. Their little miracles as Daryl called them.

Remmi looked back at Daryl, his gaze meeting hers. He smiled, causing her to smile.

It was perfect. Just perfect.

Remmi was coughing once she woke up. "Oh thank god," She heard Ellie say. Remmi opened her eyes and saw Daryl sitting there, his head in his hands with Andrew's hand on his back.

"I told you there was a damn squirrel in the road," Daryl just rolled his eyes at that and smiled at Remmi.

"Yeah you told me alright," He mumbled.

"Hershel said you were fine, just a few cuts," Andrew told his sister to which she nodded and sat up.

"I'm gonna go check on Andy," Ellie said, noticing the looks between Remmi and Daryl. "You comin' babe?"

"No, I was gonna--" Elli elbowed her husband, causing his to wince, "What? Ohh." The two left, Ellie bickering at Andrew which caused the two of them to laugh.

"I'm really sorry Remmi," Daryl told her, "For the crash, for everything." Remmi stood up slowly, making small steps to stand in front of Daryl.

"It's okay. All that matters is we're here now," Daryl sighed, leaning against Remmi, placing his hands around her waist. Remmi leaned down to kiss the top of his head, telling him that everything was gonna be alright.

"But what's not alright is that you need to shower," She told him, laughing.

"Yeah you're right," He chuckled. "I'll be back in a bit Darlin'," He told her, kissing her once more before heading off towards the showers.

Remmi decided she would make her way downstairs, seeing mostly everyone gathered around. "Look who's finally up guys," Glenn called, smiling. Glenn made his way to hug Remmi, a few other following in suite behind him. Remmi stood by Maggie, the two engaging into a conversation before Rick walked over.

"Hey, I got something for you," He told her, leading her into one of the cells. Rick grabbed a picture frame off of the desk, handing it to Remmi. "Carl found it and wanted to give it to you, but as you can see, he passed out as soon as we got back." He whispered.

Remmi traced the frame with her fingers, it was a picture of her and Matt at Ralph's.

"We found one of all of you guys, but he wanted to give that one to Ellie and Andrew,"

Remmi wiped her eyes, "Thank you. You have no idea how much this means,"

"Anytime Remmi,"

Remmi leaned in to give Rick a quick hug before pulling away.

The night quickly came to an end as everyone headed towards their cells, ready for the day to be over. Daryl followed Remmi inside, laying down on the small bed before scooting over to make room for her. Remmi laid down next to him, the blanket being pulled up and his arm wrapping around her.

"I had a dream about us," She whispered.

"Yeah? What about?" He asked her.

"We were sitting in the car and we had two kids with us in the backseat. A boy and a girl... And we were married and we were happy," She explained.

"I'm gonna marry you one day," He told her, a smile forming on her lips.

"I love you Daryl,"

"I love you too darlin',"

PUBLISHED
word count: 697