PROLOGUE

TWO WEEKS BEFORE

Remmi sat at the kitchen table, watching Matt from her seat. The small boy was playing with his train set in front of the television.

Ellie and Andrew were at their doctor's appointment, setting a date for her induced labor.

"Remmi," She heard Matthew as he came into the kitchen, "I'm hungry."

"Funny you say that, buddy, I'm hungry too. What do you say we go get pancakes?"

"Okay!" He shouted excitedly before going to slip on his shoes. Remmi smiled at her nephew before going to find her brown sandals to wear.

The two made their way outside of the house, Remmi locking the door behind her as they made their way to her small 2010 Kia Rio.

"All buckled?" She asked him as she turned around to look.

"Of course I am," He laughed and she smiled once more at the boy.

"Were we thinking Denny's or do you think we could get Ralph to make us some?"

Matt's eyes grew wide, "Ralph! And can we sit on the stools!?"

"We sure can," She laughed, making a left turn out of the neighborhood.

A short drive later and the two were walking into Ralph's Diner. Matt ran to the bar stools, Remmi quickly following.

"Marty! My favorite customer!" The old man, Ralph, laughed.

"Ralph," Matt groaned. "It's Matt!" He giggled.

"Oh right, I keep on forgettin'," He smiled. "Remmi, how are you?"

"I'm doin' fine, yourself?"

"Good, good. Now what can I get for you two?"

"Could you make us chocolate chip pancakes? With whip cream?" Matthew asked.

"For you Marty, anything," Ralph winked. "Coffee and apple juice?"

"Perfect," Remmi replied, giving the man a smile as he walked off. Ralph quickly returned with their drinks just as Remmi's phone buzzed.

Expecting Andrew, she clicked the open message button.

FROM: UNKNOWN NUMBER
Some thing's never change do they, babe? Chocolate chip pancakes were always your favorite.

Taking a look around, Remmi tried to find who she was looking for. She didn't know how he found her. Or why he was here.

Getting out her wallet, Remmi laid a ten dollar bill on the table before telling Matt they had to go.

"We just got here!" He whined.

"Let's go Matt, I'll make you some at the house, okay?"

He huffed before hopping off the bar stool and grabbing Remmi's hand.

The question kept ringing in her mind. She was extremely careful covering her tracks.

How did he find her?

*PUBLISHED