05. OH BABY, BABY

❃

REMMI WOKE UP THE next morning facing Daryl who was still asleep. She woke up thinking Lori was still here when in reality, it had been four days since she passed. Four days of another sweet girl in the group. Or Little Ass-Kicker as Daryl called her.

It was still early. No one was awake quite just yet. Remmi had been a light sleeper these days, unlike Daryl who always slept like a rock.

Remmi sighed as she got up, pulling on her boots and grabbing a clean, white, long sleeved shirt out of her duffle along with a pair of jeans.

Before T-Dog's passing, he had gotten the shower system to work in the prison. Quickly, Remmi headed over to the C Block showers and took a well deserved and well needed shower.

The water was cold, but anything was good at this point. She finished quickly and began pulling on her black jeans. Pulling the shirt over her head, she began to dry her hair as she walked back up the steps to her and Daryl's perch.

She set her towel over the railing before pulling on her dirty, brown boots. Yawning, she walked over to where the new baby lay.

The baby smiled once she saw Remmi. "You must be hungry huh, sweet girl?"

Remmi grabbed the bottle from the side table they put next to the basket and dropped three scoops of formula inside, grabbing one of the many water bottles in the bag before filling up the baby's bottle. Shaking it, Remmi began to make funny faces at the baby causing her to giggle lightly.

Picking up the small child, Remmi began to feed her through the bottle.

"You're good at that," Remmi turned around and saw Daryl standing there.

"Good at what?"

Daryl chuckled, going to lean against the railing, "The baby thing. I like it," He told her.

"I've always wanted to have a baby," She admitted. "But, I kinda lost that chance."

Daryl looked at her, "What do ya mean?"

"When I was an intern at Grady, I-I had a miscarriage and I was told my chances of ever having kids were slim if I didn't have them right then and there," Remmi sniffled a bit, "I went back for another test a few years later it was too late for me."

"Why didn't you? Have a baby I mean. You'd make an amazing mother," He asked her.

Remmi looked up at Daryl and smiled with glossy eyes, "My boyfriend at the time never wanted kids and I was... I was too scared to leave so I guess I told myself I didn't really want them either,"

"Sounds like a dick to me," Daryl muttered.

Remmi sighed, "Yeah, he was. In more ways than one," She chuckled, bouncing the little baby.

"He hit'cha didn't he?" Daryl asked. The only reason was due to a conversation Daryl had with Andrew back on the farm. On the run they went on.

Remmi looked up at Daryl with wide eyes. "How did you- Daryl, how did you... How did you know that?"

"My old man, he used to beat on my mom. Then if he hadn't had enough, Merle and I took one too," Daryl sighed, "I ain't blind to that shit Remmi."

Remmi just put her head down. "I just... I don't tell people. I don't want them thinking I'm weak. I finally have my place in this group and I don't—" Remmi sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Nothin' to be sorry for darlin'," Daryl told her.

The two stood in silence for minutes before Remmi spoke up once again, "Daryl, I have to tell you this and I just can't wait anymore, but I lo—"

"What're you guys doing up so early? Is something wrong with the baby?" Ellie asked wiping her eyes.

"It's like 7:30 Ell," Remmi laughed.

"Well when Andy's asleep, I'm asleep," Ellie spoke. "That shirt's cute. Don't get it dirty, I'm gonna wear it one of these days." She told Remmi before walking back into her cell.

"What were ya gonna say?" Daryl asked the woman who just shook her head and smiled.

"Nothing important,"

Daryl walked Remmi outside to the red vehicle where Maggie and Glenn stood.

"All ready Remmi?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah. We should stop at the pharmacy first. I don't wanna take any chances,"

Maggie nodded, closing the trunk, "Sounds good with me. We should stock up just in case. We're almost out of gauze and bandages,"

Remmi nodded, taking her bag from Daryl.

"I'll see you soon," She told him.

"Be careful," He said to her, capturing her lips in a quick kiss.

"I'm always careful," She joked to which Daryl just rolled his eyes. "I'll be back, I promise."

"Don't make promises ya can't keep," Daryl told her.

Remmi just sighed, "I'll see you later Daryl,"

"See ya," He told her, kissing her one last time before the group of three sped off onto the road. Carl closed the gate and that was that.

All Daryl could hope for was that she'd be back. And soon.

PUBLISHED
word count:
852