Chp. 10

Author's Note

 In the previous note I forgot to mention that the jujitsu teacher's name is now Paul. That bares absolutely NO relevance in the next 5 chapters, but I just thought I should mention it! Whoops!

__________________________________________

I don't know what I was expecting when we stepped outside, but it certainly wasn't the Porsche that was parked on my drive

I don't know what I was expecting when we stepped outside, but it certainly wasn't the Porsche that was parked on my drive. The beautiful car was a silvered gray colour, and I could feel the surprise written all over my face when Caydran pulled open the driver door to get inside and Kalen climbed into the back. I turned my attention to Broch who, after opening the rear door on the passenger side, appeared to be calculating which way to fold his tall limbs in order to fit them into the tail-end of the sports car. I told him I'd get into the back and inelegantly slipped onto the seat, my elbow lodging into Kalen's arm during the process (because he had it on the armrest).

"Ow," Kalen complained, rubbing his arm.

"Shut up," I mumbled between clenched teeth as Broch shut the door behind me, "It's not my fault that your fairy father has such a tiny, gas guzzling sports car."

"Fae," Kalen said but I just rolled my eyes, "And it's a hybrid."

"It's a hybrid," I repeated, quietly mocking Kalen.

"Are you okay in the back?" Broch asked and we both nodded silently. For a moment I'd forgotten the reason we were getting into the car in the first place.

When we'd all belted up, Caydran pulled out of the drive in the unusually quiet car. Inside the back of the Porsche was roomier than I'd expected, and the seats were curved in a way that hugged my behind in an undeniably comfortable way. The interior was upholstered in soft, cream leather and, as I lightly drifted my fingertips along the seats, I realised I'd probably never been inside such an expensive car. I was looking at the touch-screen interface nestled between the two front seats when I noticed that the conversation, I was ignoring, between the men in the car still seemed to have a strained undertone. I could only assume it had something to do with the argument I'd interrupted in the house earlier.

"So, is the Seelie Court far?" I asked when their conversation hit a lull.

"Not too far now," Kalen said unhelpfully but did not elaborate even when I shot him a 'look'.

Neither Broch or Caydran gave me any more information, so I resigned myself to watching the scenery pass. We'd already driven out of the city, which I'd expected. However, as we continued to slip through an ever-growing-green landscape, I became more uncomfortable, especially as we were going through areas I didn't recognise. When we turned off a two-lane B road and began to drive down a country lane, I watched our surroundings with a heightened sense of intrigue. Large bushes lined either side of the narrow road and made the whole track seem more dark and dangerous than the open roads we'd been travelling down earlier.