Chp. 5, Part II

He selected a bandage and gauze from the first aid box, before kneeling back down on the floor in front of my chair. I sat down and extended my leg so that he could wrap it up. "Where were you when this happened?" Broch asked, breaking the silence.

"Wepre Woods," I replied and then by way of explanation said, "I go there sometimes to blow off steam."

He raised an eyebrow and moved back onto his chair. "Is you blowing off steam a regular thing?"

"Sometimes."

A flicker of a smile danced along his lips. "Where in the woods were you?"

"Erm, I'm not completely sure. I found a new trail that seemed pretty unused, so I kind of just followed it, and ended up in a clearing."

"So, even after last night, you went into the woods today, found a trail you'd never seen before and followed it, not knowing where it led?" he inquired a little incredulously.

I bristled. "I was fine."

"Clearly."

"I was," I said, my voice like a lash. "You know I can look after myself Broch. I just didn't know what was happening last night. But I know more now, so I was able to get the upper hand today."

"What do you mean?" Broch immediately asked, "What happened?"

"Well, the guy, fairy, whatever, was being all weird, saying he could smell 'Seelie' on me and mentioned Zeph and I tried to reason with him, but he made it very clear that he didn't exactly want to 'talk it out'. And I thought he was going to try and grab me, and I was already training with my tonfa, so I just kind of hit him with one." I breathed deeply. " He fought back a little, which is when I got clawed, but I knocked him out and managed to get away so I was fine."

Broch stared at me open mouthed, "You fought him?"

"I did try to talk to him first, but I wasn't just going to let him hurt me," I retorted. "How do you think I got this?" I said, waving my leg a little.

"I assumed it had happened and you'd run away," he answered in a quiet voice and I snorted. I could see thoughts ticking over in his head but wasn't sure how to reply so switched tact.

"Thanks for getting me home though; I know I'm not the easiest person to be around when I'm hurt." My words appeared to pull his thoughts back to the room so I went out on a limb. "Do you want a drink? We've got tea, coffee, lemonade, juice..."

After a moment's pause he asked for a tea with two sugars. "That's how I have mine too, I like it really sweet," I said by way of conversation but it just seemed to make him thoughtful again. Regretting the offer, I moved around the kitchen making our drinks and placed them on the table when I was done.

"So, have you ever been clawed?" I wondered aloud with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

He took a sip of tea. "Yes," he replied, "Although, mine was on my arm."

"Your arm?" I asked in surprise, examining them closely and seeing nothing. He caught my gaze and rolled up the edge of his t-shirt sleeve until it was by his shoulder. As his upper arm muscles caught the light I noticed four, pale scars. Automatically, I reached out and touched the slightly raised bumps that marred his otherwise silky skin. Moving my hand back to my cup, I took a large gulp of sweet tea, because his eyes on my face had made me painfully aware of his bare skin under my fingertips. Broch rolled his sleeve back down.

"It was done by an Unseelie, something called a Phooka," he explained. I thought about it for a moment.

"Are you Seelie then?" I asked, feeling bold.