Part 19

France, June 25th 1986.
Céline had been accepted at the Montpellier School of Medicine. She had moved to that city of France, to the campus, and her roommate was named Nathalie. Whenever she could, she travels to Paris to visit Joanne and Suzanne. From time to time she calls Anne, they always make an appointment when she would be at home to talk. Anne had been accepted at the Université de Montréal. She'd study fashion and was radiant with her choice. Once in a while she asks about René. As always, he was committed to work. Once Anne said she was worried about him. He never did anything more than work. From time to time he traveled to Vegas and spent a few days, then come back and buries himself at work. The last conversation discouraged her the most.

- Occasionally Elena shows up here. They have lunch together and leave together. I asked him if they are together, but he denied it. He said it's just work... 

Anne said with annoyance. 

- Jake comes too, but she comes more. I don't even pay attention. You know I can't stand that asshole. 

Céline was silent. She didn't know what to say. She felt a hate, a sadness, a chill all together.

- Céline ... Are you there? 

- Oh! Yeah ... Well Anne, I'm going now, the break is ending. I call you later. Bisous! 

- Bisous! Love you friend ... I miss you so much ... - Love you too. I'll go now ... I'll call you as soon as I can. 

Celine stared into the void. Thoughts invaded her mind. Her eyes filled with tears. 

- Hey you ... 

She awoke from her thoughts, startled. A tall, handsome boy with green eyes was looking at her apprehensively. 

- Oh! Excuse me. Want something? - She asked smiling. 

She worked part time at the college library. She loved it, it helped her to spend her free time. She doesn't need money, her godmother made sure to deposit a good amount in her account that had opened for her. But working helped not have free time and think of nonsense.

- I need a book of oncology. Where is the section?

- In the next corridor on the right.

- Merci.

He turned to leave, but turned to her again.

- You're from the pediatric ward, aren't you?"

- Yes. - se replied smiling.

- Do you work here or study?

- Study. I'm from the oncology ward. By the way, I'm Bryan. - he said extending his hand to her.

- I'm Celine. - he squeezed her hand.

- American?

- Oui. I live here about five years.

- I've been here for almost a year. I'm from Quebec.

- Wow! Canada? I always wanted to visit!

- Maybe one day .. - she smiled kindly.

- Yeah ... Well, see you then.

- Yes of course. It was a pleasure Bryan.

- My pleasure. - he smiled and left.

She watched him while he walked. He was very interesting. But the last thing she wanted now was an involvement with anyone. She turned her attention to some books in front of her. She was sitting at one of the cafeteria tables, entertained in a book on anatomy while tasting a salad. She didn't like the anatomy class, but she needed to study. She recognized that she had to work harder on the subject.