Part 17

Céline spent the rest of the morning depressed. She was trying to disguise Anne from realizing she was destroyed. Elena's words echoed in her mind. She would destroy him. It would destroy his life. She could not believe her parents had hidden such a serious situation from her. She couldn't say that to René, as surely he would want to pay the mortgage. She wanted nothing from him but his love. It was all that mattered. It wont changed the fact that Elena would sue him. She felt suffocated. She couldn't tell anyone about that. It would hurt many people for their recklessness. René had called early, saying that he would not come home for lunch. She thanked the heaven. She needed time to decide how she was going to tell him everything. And the more she thought, the more she felt herself falling into an endless chasm. Anne and she had lunch together and she did her best not to her notice anything.

- You know ... I'm going to Paris. - she said without facing her friend. 

- What? When did you decide that? You said you wouldn't ...

- It will be better, Anne ... I can not miss such an opportunity ... 

- But ... - I already decided. It will be good for me ... I'll call you from there, always. I swear. 

- Okay ... Do the best for you. I want to see you well. - Anne smiled kindly.

- I'm going home today. 

- But you only go in three days ... Why are you going home today? 

- I have things to work out before the trip. These things don't get ready overnight. 

-I know ... I'll miss you so much .. - Anne had teary eyes. 

Céline didn't answer. Her voice was choked with tears. She veiled her pain with all her might. She touched her friend's hand affectionately and nodded. She didn't want to cry anymore. Now she was preparing for her worst torture. And in the late afternoon he arrived. She heard the noise of the car as it parked. Anne had gone out to meet Pablo in the center. It's the right time.

- Hi! - He said smiling when he found her in the living room. He walked toward her and kissed her cheek when he saw that no one was around. She did not answer. Nor did she kiss him as she always did.

- Are you okay? You are so serious ...

She stared at him without showing any emotion. But inside she was in pieces.

- I need to say something ... Could you come with me? Anyone can hear us ...

He nodded suspiciously. She took him by the hand and led him to her room.

- You're worrying me, honey ...

She closed her eyes and sighed. He tried to touch her face, but she turned her back on him.

- What's wrong with you?

She inhaled all the air in her lungs and let it out slowly ... She turned and saw his startled look.

- I'm leaving.He gaped. No reaction. She continued.

- I'm going to study in Paris. I'm leaving home today. In three days I travel.

He walked toward her slowly, staring deep into her eyes. She did not move. Her pulse went out of control with each step of him.

- Céline ... What is going on?

She held her breath for a few seconds. A needle could be heard falling to the floor by the silence that had settled there. He touched her face and this time she didn't move away. She loved him so much ... But she had to be strong now.