Souls-14

**Caleb's POV**

I was in love with a Princess. How delirious and typhlotic was I? She doesn't belong in my world nor the one she is used too. My one objective is to return her now and continue on... Alanna can't like me, it just wouldn't work.

Sedna looked at Alanna closely and back at me with recognintion. "You love her don't you Caleb."

All thoughts disappeared and I remained petrified as to how she figured it out. Of course I love Lanna! Ever since I've laid eyes on her. It's been a constant struggle to not try and go off course and not return her to Sedna. This perfect and inhumane creature kissed me! I wanted her, more than any gold or silver in the universe. To me, she was the real buried treasure.

"Well, I... yes. I love her," I stammered and avoided everyone's gazes.

Deep in my heart I knew Alanna felt the same about me.

My eyes shifted to see Alanna's eyes down while she blushed profusely.

"You know, things happen for a reason. It's not inconceivable for you two to be together."

"I know," I whispered.

At this point I wanted to disappear. Nothing else could possibly be as awkward as this. I never would have told Alanna how I felt anyways. Only if her mom would allow her to leave would I have said something. Now the topic would have to be brought up. There was no way out of this one.

"There's been word that Sampson Blackheart is searching for you now. Does anyone know about Alanna?"

"Just the mermaids and Grimes knew something was queer when we told him she found the Ring."

The Ring was swirling with energy on Alanna's hand. It was as if something was trying to escape from within. Could there be something inside it? Does it unleash some sort of power that we have been searching for?

"Make sure no one else finds out Souls. The only daughter of Sedna is worthwhile."

Pyra gazed at Alanna and patted her shoulder, "You are worth a fortune my dear, guard that Ring with your life."

She remained impassive but looked at me with a tint of terror. Could she be thinking that maybe I brought this upon her? That by me finding her and the Ring she has been taken from her fantasy. The world is cruel and sometimes what you wish for can only be in your dreams.

"When do you wish to leave Souls?" Jewel asked from behind.

I looked at Alanna who was sleeping on the couch with the rest of my crew that were snoring softly. You could tell she stood out from the rest because of her mannerisms. Not because she was a girl or less grungy.

"If we wait a few days we either risk being spotted by Blackheart or we are able to lie low and remain off the map awhile longer."

Jewel shook her head pondering, "How can we have two valuable possessions and still remain unseen? This good fortune won't last much longer."

"Aye, but we need to take advantage while we can."

"So... We leave sooner or later?" she repeated while watching Lanna sleep.

I sighed without really knowing and replied, "tomorrow evening."

"How far away from my mom are we?" Alanna inquired.

"Few days, the wind is not very helpful today so at most four?"

Her gaze was guarded and I knew we both had the same thing on our minds.

"Lanna, about the other day. I,"

She kissed me quickly, "It's fine Souls, besides you even said we can't be together." With that she sighed and combed through her hair, "I'll see you later Caleb."

I threw a knife at the wall and cursed under my breath. "She can't be serious."

I walked up on deck and watched my men scurry about to see what needed to be done. Jewel and Alanna were up in the sails, leaving me to just gaze towards the horizon.

"Patch," I called as he walked by me with a bucket of water.

"Aye?"

"Are we heading in the right direction still?"

He looked around with his good eye and answered, "seems like it. You doubting your sense of direction?"

"A tad, seems wrong somehow."

"Maybe your head isn't down from the clouds yet."

"No it is."

His gaze bored into mine, "don't let her worry you. This lass is different than most girls. She'll come around."

I decided not to question him, for I knew that Patch was far more experienced than I in life. It always made me wonder why he had readily accepted to sail with me. Maybe he was simply looking for adventure. If he were to ever be a captain, his crew would not be disappointed ever.

The waves started thrashing against the boat as if something had hit us.

"Just whales captain!" Corkscrew yelled looking over the edge.

Alanna and Jewel came down and inspected the blue whales as they breached and swam by our ship.

"Incredible," I heard Alanna say and looked at me with pure joy.

Walking over slowly, I stood behind her and watched as well.

A few humpback whales blew their water up into our faces while skimming across the boat. They seemed to have been migrating for there was a huge pod of them swimming lazily beneath us. The fear of them tipping us over was long forgotten as we continued to gaze at their massive bodies and I compared them to dragons, just without wings. That would be interesting, seeing a dragon swim...

Alanna looked at me as I smiled from my inside thoughts.

Without saying a word, I wrapped my arms around her and rested my chin on-top of her head. Whether she loved me or not... Or wanted me or not, I would not allow myself to stop fighting for her.