Souls-20

**Caleb's POV**

"Thank you for bringing my daughter to me. I am very thankful."

"It was no trouble at all." In all honesty it was. Alanna had the Ring that every Pirate in the world desired. Not only that, but she was the only daughter of Sedna who happened to find it because she was the founder's child!

"I know you care about Aida, Caleb."

My eyes looked into hers and I wondered if it was a bad thing that I cared about her as much as I did.

"Yes your grace."

"You understand her duties as well though. Especially now since she's discovered the Ring of Shadows."

Feeling my heart sink, I knew where this was going to go. Although she was part Pirate, her mermaid side would take over and make her long for the sea.

"Unfortunately, I need her here so she can learn her duties and one day rule. If you so desire too, you may stay here while she learns... But I know you are a Pirate and your soul loathes the sea."

"Sedna, Aida is in grave danger since she's discovered the Ring. Like you said, its not only Blackheart who is after her. She needs to be protected."

"We have the security and reinforcements needed to ensure her safety. You do not need to worry about that."

Alanna swam through and stopped when she saw me and her mom in mid discussion.

"What's going on?"

"I was assuring Caleb about your safety here. You won't be harmed with the type of security I have."

"Mom I want to go with Caleb. I'm safe with him, adventure is in my blood!"

"You need to remain here for awhile and learn your duties. Then you can go see the world with him."

"He..." Looking at me, she knew I would leave and go on another voyage. Maybe it was better that way.. After all, we would never be together.

"It'll just be for thirteen months Aida. After that you can go with him if you both want to at that point in time"

"Thirteen months! Mom I know I just got here, but I've been living independently for nearly eighteen years!"

"Aida you have to learn now, I've wasted too much time already," she swam out and left Alanna and I in silence.

"Alanna," I started and grabbed her wrist.

Hearing Alanna made me think back to when everyone called me that because I thought it was my name. My own name was a lie!

"Thirteen months, will it even work? I..."

"We'll make it work. I won't forget about you and I'll come back. Sedna is right, I have jobs as well to do until then. It'll make time go by faster that way."

Yes it would make time go by faster but what about when we weren't doing anything? What if something happened and we were never able to be together...

"Will my mom allow us to be together?"

I sighed and looked at her necklace, "I don't see why we can't stay together. There's always the possibility that she'll want you to find a suitor who will help rule."

"Which wouldn't apply to you..." I felt my heart sinking. We wouldn't be together... I was a Pirate. My blood and soul would never allow me to stay here very long.

With nothing else left to be said, I left her to go find Patch.

"Patch what do I do? I can't stay and help her rule. Thirteen months is too long."

"You'll have to figure out what's more important to you Souls. My duty is to protect Aida. Wherever she goes, I must go as well."

"How do you do this? You are a Pirate."

"Aye, I may be one at times, but I've learned to control my urges on what my identity is. You will always be a Pirate Caleb, but you can control how often you let that reflect your decisions. For now I suggest you sail and return in thirteen months. Maybe by then, you'll have figured out what you are desiring."

"What about the Ring? Blackheart?"

"Sampson shouldn't bother you since you do not have the Ring anymore. Aida is the holder now, it's her decision on what happens to the Ring of Shadows."

Jewel approached and handed me an envelope. "This came in just now."

I opened it and saw a smaller envelope inside. By the looks of it, it was from Sapphira. There was tiny print on the front addressed to me.

"Is this from the Zephyr?"

"I think so. What does it say?"

"Since the Ring of Shadows has been found, everything we know is in peril. We need your assistance immediately. Please come at once, Sapphira."

"What does she mean?" Jewel asked.

"That someone is causing problems."

"Souls," Patch said quietly, "If all the Rings are joined together... that's bad news."

"I know, but as long as the ones who possess it keep it safe we're fine."

Patch sighed and looked at the letter in my hand. "If they lost their Ring.."

"It would be just like searching for the one Aida has. Don't worry Patch, it's fine."

"I hope you're right Captain, I hope you're right."