Souls-2

**Alanna's POV**

We pulled up and hopped out just to tie the boat down before continuing.

"What's first on the agenda?" Mason asked us once we dragged our gear out.

"Scuba diving!" Raegan yelled and I nodded in agreement.

"There's some really great views and I wanted to sketch them after I get the photos."

"Alright then, everyone suit up and we'll leave shortly."

Raegan and I helped zip each other up while the guys did the same. I slipped my goggles on and we put the rest of the gear on us once we had waded farther into the water. The oxygen tank seemed heavier today than usual, but I guess it's because I hadn't been deep sea diving in a while.

Being underwater is almost like being in outer space. You're weightless and you can see everything around you for miles at times! Especially in Aussy since the water is crystal clear.

Most of the fish swam away from us at first but a few stayed within touching distance once they were smart enough to realize we weren't a threat to them.

I nearly ingested salt water as I felt something grab me. Whirling around, I saw Mason laughing while I put my breathing piece back into my mouth. Raegan and Jose were farther ahead so they were most likely oblivious to what had happened.

I mimicked me punching him with my hands while grinning. Mason just shook his head and pulled me with him to catch up.

The farther we went away from shore, the less sea creatures we saw. It was abnormal being able to see fully in front of you without something obstructing your view at times. Jose looked at the three of us and then back out to the open.

Vaguely, I saw something blurry out in the distance. I tried straining my eyes to see, but it was too hard to make out. By the looks of it, it was massive! It could be a whale... but the way it moved... Was it a cargo ship?

While I debated this, Raegan motioned for us to head back. Her oxygen tank was a little lower than the rest of ours. This was normal because she always seemed to inhale more oxygen than she needed at the moment. I guess it was something she had to do to calm herself when she was underwater like this.

I kept glancing back at the object while we swam farther away from it. It would be easier to see what kind of ship it was from above once we were on shore again. That is, if it's a ship.

"Did you guys see that black thing in the water?" I asked once we had changed and were laying on the sand.

"What are you talking about Lanna?" Jose asked me curiously.

"There was some large black object out in the water! Don't tell me none of you saw that?" I questioned in disbelief.

"I think you swallowed too much seawater," Mason joked.

I ignored him and scanned the horizon for what I had seen underwater. Surely I hadn't envisioned that.

"Sorry Alanna we didn't see what you did. Maybe tomorrow it'll be closer to shore..."

I sighed in frustration seeing that I wasn't getting anywhere with this conversation.

"Who's hungry?" Mason asked getting up.

"I am," we all chorsed.

"Alanna, want to help me get the food," Mason said offering his hand.

I allowed him to pull me up and walked with him to the boat.

"It's not that we don't believe you Alanna," Mason started to say.

"Mase, can we discuss this another time please?" I asked begrudgingly.

"Sure Lanna," Mason said shooting me an apologetic smile.

I knew he was just trying to make me feel better but I felt as if nothing at this point would change my mood.

The crab we were eating for lunch was pretty decent. Usually I devoured it within twenty minutes but I just could not stop gazing at the water. My dream of whatever the object revealing itself, was not happening.

"Alanna, do you want to do some exploring?" Raegan asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, um... Sure!"

"Great! Let's go ahead and leave now so we can get back in time to arrive home."

No matter how many times we had gone through this island of Cambridge, there was always new wonders to see.

We arrived into the cave and climbed up the old ladder into the damp and frigid path. This was one of our more popular spots to explore. So many things were discovered when we were here. The only thing is, the tunnel was narrow and low so you had to crawl for awhile. Mason took the lead and Jose came behind us. Water was dripping from above and onto my skin making me shiver.

After about thirty feet we were able to stand up again.

"Hallelujah!" Raegan whispered.

The cavern was always different it seemed each time we visited it. Last time the water was extremely low to where we could see most of what was below us. Today the tide must be high because it was fuller than we had expected.

"Let's not stay too long," Jose said voicing my thoughts.

Clearly everyone noticed the water as an issue and proceeded with caution as we explored. Even the stones were more slippery than usual.

Raegan slipped a few times but Jose was there to steady her. We ventured farther into the damp cavern. The water seemed lower here so we continued to explore until our flashlights started to go dim.

"Anyone have batteries?" Mason asked as his went out.

"Nope, let's head back though," I said but stopped when I saw something reflecting off of my light.

Bending down, I picked up the small ring that was gold with a single gem in the middle. It was too dark to tell what it was so I slipped it onto my finger.

While we were walking back we heard the pounding of rain on the outside. Our steps quickened once we felt the thunder. Pebbles fell and I thought, 'I don't think that was thunder.' It sounded again and the word cannon crossed my mind.

What happened next was unexpected. As if a dam had been somewhere, water started rushing through and rocks were crashing from above us. Mason yelled for us to run and we sprinted towards the entrance. The water rose swiftly and I felt myself slowing down trying to push myself against the current.

"Mase!" I screamed as he turned around.

Rocks fell blocking our path and I heard yelling on the other side and realized the water was rushing through on my end. I started to climb but I slipped and plunged into the cold and salty water.

'I'm going to die,' I thought frantically. I tried to resurface but my foot was caught on something. Pulling and tugging wasn't loosening its grip so I tried to move whatever it was stuck on. A sharp stab of pain shot through my ankle and it took everything inside me not to lose my breath. My vision started blurring either from the lack of oxygen or the water. Pulling one last time, I realized it wasn't going to budge. I sent a silent prayer to my family and to Mason then I let the world slip away.