Chapter 14 ~ A royal engagement

Magnus' P.O.V

After we returned to my castle from the New York institute I send Alexander and Jace to Alec's room, and I started making my way towards my office. I received a fire message from Catarina when I was at the institute, stating my father was in my office to discuss something important. I enter my office and see my father sitting in my chair with a bored expression on his face, making it clear to me he thought I made him wait too long.  "To what do I owe the pleasure, father?" I ask as I sit in front of him on the opposite side of my desk. "I've done some research on your new toy." My father states as his eyes met mine, is this about Alexander? "And what did you find out about Alexander that made you come all the way here?" I ask trying not to sound curious about his knowledge of Alexander. "Well from what I found out I am pretty sure he is no son of Robert Lightwood." He says and I look at him in surprise, what is he talking about? 

"Then who do you think his father is?" I ask him, not letting him know how badly I want to know my father's answer.  "Alexander was born just after the war started at the Morgenstern house and even though Robert said Maryse was pregnant with his child a reliable source told me otherwise." My father explains slowly, no I don't believe it. "You think Valentine is Alexander's father." I state, not letting my father finish because I already figured it out. "No, but I believe the angel Valentine was holding captive, is." My father replies and my eyes grow big in surprise if this is true Alexander doesn't just have angel blood but he is part angel. "You think he's been keeping this a secret for all of his life?" I ask my father, trying to keep my voice monotone so he won't know I care about Alexander.

"I don't believe the boy knows, but his mother does. You can't let them know we know about his true heritage." He replies, his eyes never leaving mine. "Who was the angel?" I ask wanting to know which one of the angels he believes to be Alexander's father. "Ithuriel." My father responds with a smirk on his face, I heard of Ithuriel, he was one of heavens strongest warriors before he was killed by Lillith years ago. "I know you want to claim this boy Magnus." My father announced, to my surprise. "Alexander already wears my loyalty rune and his life is connected to mine, father, there's nowhere he can go." I reply so he knows Alexander is already mine, I won't ever let him get away from me. "I can see it in you my son, you fear he will get away from you one day." My father replies, clearly picking up on the fear I try to hide. "I've taken every precaution not to let that happen, father, there is nothing more I can do." I explain to my father who is looking at me with a sinister face. "But there is Magnus." He responds with an evil smirk on his face, what is his plan? "Tell me, father." I say, urging him to tell me his plan. 

"I want you to marry him." My father replies and I look at him in surprise, for years he's been scaring my lovers away but now he wants me to marry Alexander. "Marriage?" I ask to make sure I heard him right, what was he thinking? "It's not a request Magnus, it's an order. I want you married to the boy within three months." My father barks at me with authority clear in his voice and before I know what's happening my father steps through a portal and I am left in my office alone.

Great now I have a wedding to worry about, well the first thing I have to worry about is getting engaged to Alexander. I create a portal and walk through it only to enter Dorothea's workplace, her head snaps up and she sees me standing in her workplace. "To what do I owe the pleasure, my lord?" She asks, greeting me like every downworlder should greet their king.  "I need you to come with me Dorothea, we're going engagement ring shopping." I explain and see the small frown on her face, clearly being upset with the news because she's been pining after me for centuries. I open up a portal and we both step through, off to find the perfect engagement ring for my Alexander.

Alec's P.O.V

"I didn't know Max had it in him?" Jace said as we start cleaning up the training area, I throw him an unknowing look to show him I don't know what he's talking about. "You know, yesterday, putting up a protest to get you to train him." Jace explains further as he puts his seraph blade away and I put away mine. "I always was supposed to train him, but now I can't do anything without Magnus' permission." I respond as we make our way to the targets and start putting them against the walls on the side of the training area. "I know, it wasn't supposed to end like this. We were supposed to either win or lose the war but they never should have given you to him in order to get a peace treaty." Jace replied as his eyes with me as his eyes meet mine, they are filled with guilt. "It wasn't your fault Jace, you didn't know what they were going to do and you tried to change their minds when you did." I say as I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, his eyes never leaving mine. "Still, it shouldn't have happened." Jace responds as he pulls me into a hug.