Chapter 34

Walking back into Javier's mansion was more than a little nerve-wracking. If everything went according to the plan by the end of the night Javier would be dead, I would leave with Jamie and we would get (our version) of a happily ever after...with a twist. Steeling my expression I kept my head high and my eyes clear of any emotion, I could not act any differently in the event I unknowingly give Javier a reason to believe something is off.

Marching through the mansion I make my way straight to Javier's office and gave two short raps on the door. "Come in" I hear him call from behind the heavy door. Pushing my way inside I let the door close and walk over to the desk, dropping myself into the chair in front. "Well, that was a bust" I state, making my tone appear bored and void of emotion.

"What happened? I am told our contact is dead, I am assuming you had your reasons?" He lifted an eyebrow at me, waiting for my explanation. Maintaining my cold exterior I flip my hand over and begin to fiddle with my nails. "to put it simply it was a trap, I went to meet with them and was told they were going to kill me but send you a notice of ransom. Assuming you paid they were going to demand you deliver the ransom personally and then kill you as well. When the guards were sent it I had no choice."

"Let me guess, two birds with one stone?" Dismissing my nails I allowed my gaze to meet his, making sure to not show a flicker of emotion. "You knew?" Chuckling to himself he got up to grab a file from the shelf behind his desk before tossing it in front of me. "I had a hunch, but I knew you could handle yourself. Looking through the file I felt a whisper of anger at the knowledge that he had sent me there unprepared considering his hunch.

Letting the anger slide off me I close the file and lean back in my chair, returning to my bored gaze on my nails as if Javier sending me straight into a trap had no effect on me. "So what's the next move?" I ask him. "I haven't decided, I have another meeting then I will come to your room later." Nodding I get up and retreat to my room without a backward glance.

Jamies POV

My team had set up on the perimeter of the mansion, using the tree line as cover. I was quietly making my way through the hidden tunnel, anxiously waiting for a text from Alana. I see a light up ahead and I cautiously entered the wine cellar. Almost at the same moment, I feel a vibration in my pocket and I whip out the little burner phone we were using to communicate.

Alana: make it to the wine cellar yet? I'm coming down the hall.

Me: I'm here baby

I hear the door open and I reflexively move to the shadows, just in case. "Jamie?" Breathing a sigh of relief I quickly move toward her, wrapping her in my arms. I had missed her even though It hadn't even been 24 hours since she had left. "Let's go, Jamie, the trap is set...Javier will be coming to my room to tell me the next step in his plan. As long as we can make it from here to there, all we have to do is wait."

Nodding I allow her to lead me out of the cellar and down the hall, a left and a right then sliding into her room we both let out sighs of relief. Looking at each other we can't help but let out a small chuckle at our respective reactions. I could see in her eyes she was nervous, and hell so was I. So much was riding on this and it could easily go awry.

I look around the room, surprised at how simple it was. She had not bothered to decorate or add any personal touch to the room all the time she had been here. She watches me silently as I look around, and then head to her closet. It was massive and instead of the Denim and crop tops and comfy clothes I always remembered her in, there were 50 shades...of black. Black denim, leather, t-shirts....even the couple of dresses she owned were black. Like she had been in mourning for the past year.

I feel her arms wrap around me from behind and I put my hand and hers, "I was in mourning Jamie, I was mourning the loss of my love." I look behind her and raise an eyebrow. "Oh don't act like that's not what you were thinking." She laughs as I spin to face her. I set a light kiss on her lips and just at that moment her doors swing open and a half a dozen guards file in.

Quick as lightning she closes us in her closet and hits a button to reveal her secret weapons stash. We both grab a gun and load it, she also grabs a couple of knives and a small gun that she places in holders strapped to her thighs. "Ok, wrong place and time but damn that's hot." She looks up at me with a smirk before we turn back around, steeling ourselves with what's about to happen. As an afterthought, I pull out my burner and send a quick text.

Me: Compromised, Alanas room

As I hit send a voice hits my ears that instantly set me ablaze with rage. "Oh Alana, did you honestly think I wouldn't have you watched when you leave the mansion? I know you were only here to protect Jamie, that you detest me...and that has not changed in your time here. Come out now, give yourselves up and I may consider leniency." Alana looks at me and my gaze meets hers..."Do you trust me Jamie?" She whispers. "With my life" I respond.

She tucks the gun in the back waistband of her jeans and I follow suit. Taking a deep breath she opens the doors and we are facing Javier, flanked by 3 guards on either side. "Oh father, do you honestly think that things would ever change? That I appreciated you in any way? You're so-called training and our little father/daughter chats." She lets out a dark laugh that I don't recognize as hers and realize she has slipped into a persona she has adopted while living here.

A menacing twinkle in Javiers eyes shows a hint of pride in her defiance. "So what's it going to be Alana, you can kill Jamie right now and I will let you continue with the way we have been, or you can attempt to fight my 6 best guards here and roll the dice." The air in the room is stiff and silent, nobody daring to move while father and daughter face-off. Alanas face blank, not letting any emotion show through. Javier with a smirk and that dark gleam in his eye.

She reaches in her waistband and grabs her gun, I hear all 6 guards cock theirs in anticipation. She looks at it and then her father before pointing it in my face. I am stunned, standing there while the love of my life holds a gun in my face. Was this real, or part of some plan she had cooked up. "I think I am finally going to make you proud of me, father." She cocks the gun and I close my eyes.