Chapter 29

~1 year later~

Alana's POV

"I have my eyes on the target, waiting for your queue." I was perched upon the top level of the Torre Reforma, the tallest building in Mexico City. I had my M40A5 sniper rifle of the low wall with my target within my scope, all I needed was the go from Javier. My target? Don't know, don't care. "Let's end this Alana." Once my name leaves his mouth my bullet leaves my rifle, a perfect headshot...my trademark it seems. My target is eliminated and chaos ensues down below.

Packing up my gear quickly I make my way down my pre-planned escape route and into the waiting black SUV. Climbing in Javier shoots me a grin and expresses his pride in my completion of the mission. A daughter should feel delighted in her father's praise, right? Not me...his pride only wounded my already blackened soul even more.

Maintaining eye contact with him until he was done I then turn my attention out the window as we drive away from the city. I was exhausted, as always...my life consisted of training, missions and crippling insomnia I live with. Even after all this time....12 months...365 days....every time I close my eyes I see Jamie. His blonde hair falling over his bright blue eyes...his soft lips kissing mine, the feel of his skin under mine. It drove me crazy..so I would get up and train more. Picture of health over here huh? Pshht

Leaving Jamie was the hardest thing I have ever done hands down, but I couldn't let him or his family be in danger anymore because of me. That night when I slipped out of our bed I called Javier and offered him a deal...He would leave Jamie and his family/ business alone as well as Amara and Samantha and in return, I would willingly come with him.

Needless to say, he accepted my terms and I was immediately whisked off to Mexico before I could even think about the consequences of the deal I just made. For the next 6 months, I trained...guns, combat, explosives, and espionage as well as finishing up my degree via distance learning online services. According to Javier, I was 'a natural' although I didn't really give a rats ass. I operated on basic instinct and not much else, even my 'graduation' was not what I always thought it would be. Just another hollow experience without the man I loved... As a person, I was hollow, unfeeling...without a purpose. I lost all that when I walked away from Jamie.

For months I told myself this was temporary, that I would be back in Jamie's arms as soon as I figured out how to get rid of Javier. The longer I was there, the more I felt myself slip away...felt the hope leave my body and give way to the inevitability that this was just it. I know Jamie probably hated me for leaving him, but at the end of the day, I will never be sorry for protecting him.

Pulling up to our mansion, I got out without a word a went straight to my room...shutting myself in my en suite bathroom and locking the door. I get in the shower, the water as hot as I can stand and let it run over my body as the steam invades my lungs. This is the only time of the day I get any peace, I clear my head of everything...my day to day life...Javier...even Jamie.

I hear a knock at the door, causing my moment of peace to break. "I'll be right out!" I holler back. They never bother me unless there's work to be discussed so without a second thought I turn the water off and step out, wrapping myself in an oversized fluffy towel. Heading to my closet I grab my normal dark wash skinny jeans, a black tank top, and block-heeled booties. Quickly drying off and dressing I throw my hair up in a wet messy bun, throw on some lip gloss and a black jacket before heading out to see what was so important.

Jamies POV

"Jamie? Bro you ready, Red is putting on pressure for this one." I hear Jackson at my door but I remain silent for a moment, sitting on the edge of my bed. Another day, another mission...joys of being the right hand I guess. Grabbing my pack I throw it over my should and open the door walking past Jackson and straight through the compound to the waiting all-black escalade. It was my newest edition, reinforced exterior, and bullet-proof glass.

After Alana left I went through the whole compound reinforcing everything, updating security the whole nine yards. I was hoping she would come back to me and when she did I wanted to make sure I could protect her. The longer I waited, the more withdrawn I became. Autopilot was my way of life now, I did what I needed to do to keep our profits up and protect the family. I finished out my degree and took over the legitimate businesses Red had started up and they were more successful than ever.

I walked around in my suit and tie like a millionaire who had it all, I was the top of Boston 30 under 30 and most eligible bachelor. None of it mattered, I did my job and I did it well but in all honesty, I craved the missions. I craved the base need to hit something, someone. Every face was Javiers..every kills one step closer to his. I had become vicious, taking my person angers out on everyone and my reputation had grown.

The reputation was a plus in our world, but Red knew what was behind it...my team knew. We never spoke of it, they didn't push it and I didn't let it out. It was an impenetrable invisible barrier between me and everyone around me and I had no desire to change it. "Jamie?" Hearing my name snapped me out of my thoughts as I turned to face Red, taking the folder he was handing me and opening it to look through as he talked.

"There are rumors of a new power rising In Mexico and I have yet to be able to secure any reliable intel, I have it on good authority they will be moving a shipment of some sort being moved into the port in Houston." I shake my head, following along with Red's words while looking through the file. He was right about the intel he had been able to get, it was all unfounded and full of holes. 

"Jamie this a recon mission only do you understand me? Do NOT engage, do you understand me?" I look Red in the eye and give him a curt nod. He just lets out a sigh, we both know they if I'm given the slightest excuse....well let's just say the other party will be sending out a recovery team instead of recon. The last page in the folder shows a hotel near the port, my reservation information and the necessary paperwork for a rental to get me around. Grabbing my pack as I feel the vehicle slowing I exit as soon as it comes to a stop and I board our private jet. Let's see how interesting the new 'power' is.