048. What Do You Desire?

Start from the beginning

"I'll be alright," she assured him coldly. For the first time ever, she wasn't filled with the usual indignation that emerged from deep within her while talking with Yoongi. Now, she just felt... numb. "If you've come here to kiss me and then compel me to forget again, I'm afraid I won't agree to that." She stared straight into his eyes defiantly, determined not to show the tiniest sign of weakness in front of him.

It all came back to her, reminding how violated she felt when her memories from that night when Yoongi almost kissed her came back to haunt her.

"This was a mistake," he admitted, dark eyes glistening. "I made a lot of mistakes."

Aera crossed her arms in front of her chest, caught off guard by the unexpected remorse dripping from his velvety voice.

"Finally, something we can both agree on."

"Come with me." he muttered so quietly she barely heard him.

Stunned, Aera's breath got caught in her throat. She stepped back, feeling her legs collide with the wardrobe behind her.

"No." she declared firmly.

Her answer didn't faze him. Instead, he took a seat elegantly on one of the arm-chairs.

Unintentionally, her hands darted behind her where she gripped on the wardrobe handle, desperately trying to keep her nerves at bay.

Humming, Yoongi rested his chin on the back of his hand as his eyes traveled back to stare into hers. The air around them was crackling with tension.

Gracefully, he extended one arm in her direction, fingers curling and uncurling, urging her to take it. When he realized she wouldn't, he let it drop limply in his lap. The little smirk painted across his lips told her that her reaction wasn't unexpected.

"Tell me, Aera," he purred, crossing one leg over the other, his long thin fingers interlocked in his lap. "What do you desire?"

At a loss for words, she just furrowed her eyebrows at him questioningly. She felt as if she was a kid in front of a much more knowledgeable adult.

It was safe to say, she didn't like it.

"What?" she mumbled, fed up with trying to catch up with Yoongi's ludicrous charades.

"What do you want out of life?" he elaborated, slightly leaning forward in the chair.

"I don't feel like playing games." she gritted, reluctant to pay any mind to his existential questions.

Even so, the images that filled her head were too quick for her to suppress them. What did she want out of life? Perhaps... love. And safety. A happy home. A place where she belonged. Behind her back, her thumb glided over the knuckle where the ring from Jimin was.

"You and I both know you weren't born for such useless trivialities," as if he had read her mind, he waved his hand in a dismissive manner, clicking his tongue. "You have a deeply hidden and inarticulate desire for something beyond the daily life. You were born for something... greater."

Aera just stared back at him crossly.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Yoongi flashed her a brief grin that soon melted away in a serious expression. He rubbed his chin with his forefinger and middle finger.

"You're a girl who was destined to obtain great Power. All your life, you've felt like something important was missing. Something elusive, slipping through your fingers. An essential part of your happiness." The atmosphere in the room suddenly became languorous and sultry, much like Yoongi's voice. "You're strong now, but you could be so much stronger, Aera. If you just let me help you."

"Help me?" she frowned, her chin tilting upwards as she stared back at him stonily.

Briskly, he stood up and shortened the distance between them. Aera had never seen him move so fast.

"You've always longed for something epic," he whispered close to her face. "I can give that to you. Power. Eternal life. Immortality. Come with me and you'll have it all. There's a whole new world for us out there, waiting to be explored. I know you want it, I can feel the excitement vibrating through your skin. I can awaken all of your undisclosed desires and make them come true."

She felt dizzy, the close proximity of their bodies clouding her rationality.

"I thought you were on my brother's side." she exhaled heavily.

"To hell with your brother," Yoongi hissed sharply, midnight orbs swimming with need. The reply caught her by surprise. "It was you I wanted from the start."

Flabbergasted, she looked away. No matter what, she shouldn't gaze into those fiery onyx orbs for too long. His pupils were heavily dilated like those of a cat prowling in the dark.

His gentle fingers found their way to her chin, tilting her head so that she could face him again. His rigid dark orbs were chipping away at the thin layers of her emotional protection.

"Let me help you awaken your true Powers," Yoongi breathed out, his voice caressing her like feathers. "Someone as extraordinary as you shouldn't lead a dull life. You're bound to thrive in darkness. Together we can rule over the shadows, you and I," he let his eyes linger on her face. "Be my queen." He coaxed seductively, biting his lip.

His cold hand lay on the side of her neck lightly before he let his fingers glide across the soft skin, sending shivers down her spine.

"You hurt me." she accused, surprised at the steadiness of her own voice. Yoongi's enticing words contradicted his own inconsistent behavior, making her feel as if she was being toyed with.

"That's one of my biggest mistakes," his expression dulled. "For some time, I honestly believed you were better off without me. I wanted to hurt you, so that when you think of me, you'd think of the pain. That way you'd be able to get over me faster. But then I realized..."

He paused, seemingly hesitant. "I didn't want you to get over me."

Something ached deep inside Aera's chest and she gulped. Her hand gravitated to grab at Yoongi's wrist, gently and without haste. She pulled it down, so that he wasn't touching her any more, and let him go.

And then he whispered. "I still want you."