026. Dangerous Liaisons

"I still don't understand why you guys aren't giving me a gun," Meisa pouted, flipping her soft lustrous hair behind her shoulder and readjusting one of the straps of her long teal dress. She was sporting a new hairstyle today, her hair was cut barely above her shoulders and instead of the previous blond dye it was a minty green hue, complimenting her emerald green eyes.

"I told you, it's too risky," Jungkook grumbled, rolling his eyes with the exasperation of a person who had to answer the same question at least a thousand times.

"But I want to be badass like you guys," the dainty girl whined, bouncing on her own feet. "Okay then," she finally said, letting her hands fall loosely to her sides in defeat.

"Let's run through this real quick one last time," Namjoon had spent the last two hours insisting that everyone knew exactly what to do at the ball, earning several annoyed groans to fill the room. "Shut up. I don't want any mistakes. We should be constantly on alert. Observe Hyukjae and Yoongi intently but don't be too obvious. Be on the lookout for anything that seems even the least bit strange to you. Watch them, watch what they drink, what they eat, who they talk to. Meisa, I know this might be hard for you, but it's imperative that you stay by Hyukjae's side tonight. See if you could overhear something."

Meisa's shoulders slightly tensed up. "Yeah, alright." She sighed, glancing down at the diamond ring sparkling on her finger. They had all decided it was for the best that she didn't tell Hyukjae about breaking off the engagement yet, given it would be beneficial for them if she could be around him and observe his actions from up close. "It's okay, really," she assured, once she noticed Aera's concerned gaze linger on her. "I'll just think of it as a spy mission." She winked playfully.

"Remember, he shouldn't detect even the slightest sign of you betraying his trust. Right now he thinks he has you wrapped around his finger and this would work in our favor. He'll be careless around you. No matter what happens, he shouldn't grow doubtful. If he has even the slightest suspicion of us conspiring against him, everything will be in vain," Jin advised, adjusting his tie. "The same goes for Yoongi."

This would be the difficult part, Aera thought to herself. Yoongi had always been extremely intuitive and observant, she really hoped he wouldn't pick up on their intentions.

"And last but not least, act natural," Namjoon reminded, emphasizing the last two words. "Mingle, interact, talk with people. Don't do anything that would provoke suspicion."

"If I may add," Jimin spoke up, standing up abruptly and glaring at both Jungkook and Meisa. "No googly eyes or bedroom look exchanges from across the room. This one goes especially for you, Romeo and Juliet. Don't fuck this up." He warned them, not even bothering to cover up the menace in his voice.

"Alright, alright," Jungkook groaned, his irritation flaring. "Now let's go have some fun."

***