034. Are You Afraid?

"No

"No." Taehyung said.

Aera's arms dropped briskly to her sides. He hadn't even let her finish her sentence before bluntly throwing his refusal in her face.

"But-"

"I said no." he repeated firmly, eyes flashing towards her for a split second as he left his spot behind the car wheel and casually scurried off to rummage through a cupboard before pulling out a screwdriver. "No fucking way in hell."

"Why not?" Aera waddled after him, bumping into his back when he stopped in his tracks.

He turned around very slowly, his broad chest hovering over her as his dark eyes peered at her from above. It made her gulp when she detected the same vibrancy exuding from him that she had sensed in Jimin and Jungkook, yet there was something different.

His face seemed more chiseled and defined than ever, his jaw gracefully curved as if by a sculptor. Thick, dark coal black curls framed his striking face. A sheen of sweat covered the sleeveless gray shirt that hugged his firm chest and showcased his strong arms, the sun-kissed caramel skin glistening even in the dimmed light of the garage.

Not only his whole physical appearance seemed to have changed in the span of two days, but the air around him had shifted. It was basically crackling with tension, lust and hunger. There was an intense aura swirling around him.

Taehyung had always oozed power and dominance, but this was something else, something stronger. The personification of desire and seduction. Aera felt like all of her nerve endings were strained to the maximum, her senses sharpened and enhanced as she stood there in his presence. Was he the one doing all of this?

The pulsing of a single vein on Taehyung's tattooed neck caught Aera's attention, making her gape openly. Even if this suspense hanging in the air was because of him, she wasn't sure he was doing it on purpose, at least his nonchalant face told her he was completely oblivious to the energy flowing out of him.

"So let's see if I got this straight," the deep baritone of his velvety voice drew her back to reality. "Your scumbag of a half-brother hates your guts and threatens you, your sleazy ex tried to murder you through your brain-washed bodyguard and you found a weird box thing in the ruins of your psycho grandmother's house that you want me to help you open. Did I get it right?"

An exasperated sigh made its way up Aera's throat. She didn't have the energy to argue.

"More or less, yeah."

"Wow, they should make a movie about your life. It's so fucked up, they're gonna have material for years."

Aera merely let out a single hmmpf, her shoulders drooping. Wordlessly, Taehyung walked away, grabbing a towel and wiping the motor oil off his large hands, his midnight black locks swaying with the motion.