Chapter 44 | What I Wouldn't Do For This Girl

𝐍 𝐎 𝐀 𝐇 ' 𝐒 𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

I am in love with Avalon Rose Miller.

There is no doubt about it and there never has been. How long have I been in love with her? I mean, I always knew from the beginning she was someone I could see myself loving and spending the rest of my life with. Why haven't I told her? I don't know if she loves me. If I tell her I love her. I don't mind if she doesn't tell me the same straight away. Everyone falls in love at different times. I guess I'm just scared of her reaction.

The week between when I decided to come to New York with her to meet her dad and the flight had flown by. Ava told her dad I was coming to New York with her, and he was glad he was finally going to get to meet me. Since Ava and I have been dating for four months now. Am I nervous? Extremely. I know how important her dad is to her, and his opinion means everything to her. Meaning if I want to keep dating Ava, I have to get his approval. I am shitting myself.

Looking down, seeing Ava asleep next to me with her head resting on my chest and her arms wrapped around me as she is cuddled into me. We have been on the flight for a good couple of hours now. We had gotten up really early this morning to catch the flight, so Ava is still tired. I can't sleep. I'm more nervous to meet her dad and worrying about if he'll like me or not. Thankfully, Ava and I are grabbing a cab to her house since her dad will be at work and she doesn't want him to miss work since he's already taking the next two days off.

"You two make an adorable couple," An elderly lady says who is sitting on the aisle seat. She hasn't said much all flight. She had greeted us when she sat down and had kept to herself. "How long have you two been together?"

"Thank you, we've been together for four months now. Feels longer though in a good way," I say and she smiles.

"Me and my husband were like that. The spark you have in your eyes when you look at her never left ours in our sixty years of marriage. I'm sure you'll be the same," She smiles. "What are you traveling to New York for?"

"Meeting her dad," I say, not wanting to tell a stranger about her mom's death anniversary. "How about you?"

"Visiting my children and grandchildren. They keep trying to get me to move to New York with them ever since my husband died, but the house holds too many memories to leave," She smiles. "You really love her, huh?"

"I do," I smile kissing Ava's head. "She means the world to me. Hey, sleeping beauty," I chuckle seeing Ava slowly wake up.

"Have we landed yet?" Ava yawns, sitting up properly.

"No, not yet. Another hour to go," I tell her and she nods, resting her head on my shoulder. "Sleep okay?" I ask her, stroking her hair.

"Yeah. Can you pass me the water?" She asks, and I hand it to her as she takes a sip.

"Who have I got to win over more? Blue or your dad?" I ask her and she laughs.

"Hmm maybe Blue, he's chased away a pizza delivery guy who hit on me once," Ava laughs, making me chuckle. "Plus he bites," She smirks as I roll my eyes. "They'll both like you, don't worry so much," She says resting her head back on my shoulder. I see the elderly lady smile at us before returning to her book. An hour later we land at JFK airport, and make our way through customs and baggage claim, before flagging down a cab.

Driving through New York, we pass by the skyscrapers and soon enough we're heading into a neighborhood full of brownstones. Getting out and paying the driver, we get out our bags before heading inside.

"Welcome to my home," Ava says as we walk into her house. "This is the suburban and quieter area of New York. We're close enough to the city to drive to it. But far away enough so we don't get the traffic or the noise," She explains as I put our bags down.