Chapter 41 | I Need Time

𝐍 𝐎 𝐀 𝐇 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

Guzzling back water as I sit on the side of the field, my fingers tap against my phone to see if I have any messages from Ava.

None.

After hanging up last night quickly, because of having to save one of the drunk guys from getting pummeled by the bouncer, I haven't heard from her since. I tried ringing when I got back to the hotel, but I know she was asleep as it was late here and back in Los Angeles. Aside from a reply to my 'good morning' message, I can feel the tenseness through the phone after my hasty exit last night. We've been getting used to a different type of relationship that long-distance is. Such as not being able to see each other, and we haven't been able to talk much aside from texting because of our schedules. I will admit, I have been caught up with the guys every night though.

"Nothing from your girl?" James, a player on the Patriots, says as he sits down next to me.

I shake my head. "No. I ended up cutting the call off last night quickly to make sure the bouncer didn't fight anyone."

"Yeah, they were really drunk last night," James snickers. "Piece of advice from someone who is married in this industry, you have to put your relationship first. Majority of these guys do stuff every single night, if I did that, I'd have no wife and kids."

I chuckle. "Yeah, it hasn't been easy with our schedules. Probably doesn't help by the time I get back in every night after being with the team she's asleep. I'll be spending time with Ava when she flies out."

"Make sure you do. I love these guys, but the ones who don't have a girl or a family get home to spend their entire lives partying," He pats my shoulder.

"Hey, you ever done long distance before?" I question and he nods his head.

"Yeah, it didn't work out. But what I learned from it is that it takes two people to make it work, if you communicate with one another, be honest and put work in you'll get through it," He explains and I nod my head. "Come on, let's get back to it," He pats my back before we stand up and head back to the field. Training with these guys for four days has been intense, more intense than college football, that's for sure. As we finish training and head back inside to shower and change, still no messages from Ava. Placing the phone to my ear as I try to ring her, it goes straight to voicemail. My phone rings and instead of Ava's name, I see Dylan's.

"Hey Dyl, what's up?"

"What's up is I miss my best friend...you left me with Aiden...AIDEN!" Dylan's voice screeches from the other end of the phone, and I roll my eyes.

"I heard that jackass," I hear Aiden shout through the other end, yet it's muffled.

Dylan scoffs. "Are we being replaced by your new NFL friends?"

"You act like a clingy girlfriend. Has anyone ever told you that?" I mutter as I throw on my new top.

"Hannah," Dylan bluntly replies, and I snicker. "How is it up there?"

"Good...hey either of you talked to Ava? I can't get a hold of her today," I question, curiously.

"What did you do?" Dylan questions.

"Nothing...I was out with the guys' last night and I ended up hanging up on her because I had to sort something out," I explain, and Dylan scoffs.

"I'd be pissed at you, too. But no we haven't," Dylan offers and I nod my head, even though he can't see me. "Don't worry, she'll get back in contact when she wants to."

"Yeah, yeah. I should go. I'll see when I get back...if Aiden doesn't kill you first."

"Wait...what?" Dylan mutters before I hang up, snickering to myself.