Chapter 10 | Did I Interrupt Something?

𝐍 𝐎 𝐀 𝐇 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

"This is too hard," Ava complains, throwing her pen down onto her notebook that rests in her lap. I chuckle and she glares at me, cutting me off. "Seriously? How is this so easy for you?" Ava throws her hands into the air, getting frustrated.

"I've spent my entire life playing football. Ok, ok, let's take a break."

She lets out a sigh of relief at my offer, reaching over to place her notebook down on the coffee table in the living area. Before leaning back against the opposite end of the couch, where she sits cross-legged. Once comfortable, her eyes focus on me as I sit at the other end of the couch, slouched down. After a few hours of teaching Ava about football, which is the hardest thing I've ever done, she's managed to understand the game a little more. It's cute seeing her trying to concentrate and understand it.

"You know, I never actually knew how much work went into football," Ava hums, resting her head against the back of the couch. Clutching a pillow to her chest.

I raise my eyebrow. "Didn't you ever go watch your ex's games?"

"Yeah, I did. But I never understood how the game worked. Plus, he didn't seem to do much," Her joking nature makes me laugh. "Your family must be proud of you. I mean you said your brother played in college but didn't want to go professional and so did your dad, but he got injured."

"Yeah, they are. My mom would worry more than she does now, if she saw me playing in NFL games. Considering the injuries you can get," I chuckle, and a soft smile coats her features. "What are you planning to do after you graduate?"

"My biggest dream would be to work at Vogue, as cliché as it sounds, they have offices in L.A and New York. My mom was a writer, she worked as an editor at a magazine. When I was younger, she used to take me with her to work and I loved it. So, growing up, she inspired me a lot, wanted me to dream big and hopefully achieve my dreams. So, writing or editing for a magazine, or a newspaper, or maybe even my own company. Who knows."

"She'd be proud of you," I smile, nudging her legs with my outstretched foot and she smiles back at me, before my phone buzzing brings us out of our little moment.

"Is that your family?" She asks, nodding to where my phone sits on the table. I nod my head before picking my phone up and moving so I sit closer to her and hand her my phone. She leans forward as I point out each member.

"Yeah, that's my parents. My older brother Liam and his fiancée Emery. The devil twins, Max and Alex, and then my favorite sibling Luna."

"Aw, your sister is adorable. You have a big family, well big compared to just me and my dad."

"My dad wanted a lot of kids, growing up he was an only child. So, he wanted us to have siblings to grow up with, pretty sure my mom wanted to smack him a couple of times."

"I'm not surprised. Childbirth sounds so painful. Although, saying that, I'd like a big family. Pets too, growing up with Blue was the best," Ava hands me the phone and I place it back on the table, before sitting back, not moving from my new spot next to her.

"When did you get him?"

"When I was little. My mom and dad told me the story a lot growing up. I didn't remember I was like two," She chuckles, and I nod understandably. "We were on a walk one day. Me being me, I headed in the direction of a dog adoption centre, wanting to see all the cute dogs. We stayed for a while, played with the dogs. My parents let me get one seeing how much I loved them. I was so happy, like running around the place happy."

"I can just see a mini you doing that," I laugh, throwing my head back and she shoves my shoulder.

"Anyway, I spent ages looking for the perfect dog. It was a big decision. Blue was in the corner, away from all the other dogs who were crowded around us. The workers said Blue was anti-social and could be vicious if you got too close. I didn't believe it, I mean I was two. So, I walked over much to my parent's annoyance because they didn't want me getting hurt. I didn't go near him, I sat a couple feet away just watching him. Anyway, he got up, and he was tiny at the time being a puppy, so he rested his little head on my lap. The workers were stunned and came too close, but Blue barked and growled. Almost as if he was protecting me. So, I decided I wanted Blue, and we took him home."