Chapter 4 | I Don't Date Football Players Anymore

𝐀 𝐕 𝐀 𝐋 𝐎 𝐍 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

"None of them tried anything with you, did they? Or else I'll come up there with my shotgun," My dad speaks through the phone that rests between my ear and my shoulder as I put sugar in my coffee. I quickly rearrange my phone as it slides, almost falling on the floor. Which is the second time it's happened since starting this call. It's actually the least number of times I've almost dropped my phone in a day. "Where did I put that thing?"

I roll my eyes at his protectiveness and forgetfulness. "There is no need for that dad, I can take care of myself. Remember, you taught me how to throw a punch when I was eight."

Placing the empty sugar packets on the dish that rests beneath the mug, I take my phone from resting between my ear and my shoulder, holding it up with my hand. My eyes travel around the coffee shop as I rest my elbows on the table. The usual bustling café is a lot quieter since the lunch rush has been and gone. Now the only people that remain are talking in hushed tones, while others sit typing on their computers trying to get some work done.

Dad's deep laugh comes through the phone taking me out of my daze. "Proudest moment of my fatherhood to date, and when you punched Tommy Nelson in third grade."

"Yeah, the school wasn't too happy that my dad was ecstatic that his eight-year-old daughter punched another eight-year-old," I add as my gaze moves back to my laptop sitting on the table.

"That Tommy Nelson kid tried to kiss my daughter, hell no," He grumbles, and I chuckle remembering how back then I still thought boys had cooties.

"I could take care of myself then and I can now."

"I know you can take care of yourself, I just worry about you. You're a five-hour flight away from me and I've worried about you ever since you moved across the country from New York to California."

Pulling my lip between my teeth, I sigh, my eyes focusing on the window next to me as I watch students come and go. Deciding to attend college here had been the hardest decision I ever made. My dad supported me a hundred percent, and although sad he knew it was something I had to do since my mom grew up here and I wanted to experience that, as if to be closer to her.

"I know you do dad, but you don't have to. You should be more worried about me boring myself to death at practices."

"I was a football player in high school and my own daughter doesn't even like football," Dad scoffs, as if he cannot believe what he's hearing.

"Well, it's between the fact football is too boring for me, and out of the players I've met, most of them have been assholes."

"Oh, I know. I tried to teach you the sport and get you to watch it with me when you were growing up, but you didn't take to it. Your mom was always better at raising a daughter than I was."

"You've done an amazing job, dad. I bet raising Blue is easier than raising me. How is he anyway?" I ask, referring to our husky dog that we've had since I was eleven.

"He's doing well. Keeping me company. He misses you, though. He keeps going into your room a lot and sleeping on your bed," Dad lets me know and I smile. One thing that got me through my mom's passing was definitely Blue. He could always tell when I was upset, and he'd come to comfort me.

"Are you mad he likes me more than you?"

"I'm just saying. I feed him, I walk him, I pet him, and he still loves you more." Dad whines and I chuckle, checking the time on my watch. "And right now he's bringing his lead towards me, I think he wants a walk. Yeah, that's right traitor who will walk you now?"