f o u r t y t h r e e

Songs listened to while writing this chapter: Skinny Love, Accidentally in Love, No Angel, Terrible Love, Warm Shadow - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Daryl held Judith close to him, and watched in horror as Presley’s face fell. Her light, happy expression faded to one that showed horror and pain. She recoiled from Tyrese, lips parted and eyes wide as she continued to stare at him. She was stunned, and it was plain she had no idea what to say, let alone do.

“Tyrese…” Daryl began, but the man shook his head, stopping Daryl half way through.

“I know, I know I can’t stay here.” He looked fondly at Mika. “I just had to get these two to safety. All I could do was pray that this place wasn’t overrun, and they could make it because of all the food here, and the gardens…” He shook his head. “But this, this is even better. You’re all here.”

Neither Presley nor Daryl had the heart to tell them that if they weren’t here, Mika nor Judith would have made it.

Tyrese brought himself to his feet, and Mika rushed forward to him, wrapping her skinny arms around his torso. She buried her face into his body, sniffling softly. He hugged her, a certain look of fondness evident on his face as he rubbed the tangled hair on her head.

“I’ll miss you.” She said quietly, pulling away from him. He took her smaller hand in his own, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

“You’ll be alright. Daryl and Pres will take good care of you.” He assured her, and she backed over to Presley’s side, burying her face into Presley’s stomach to hide Tyrese’s departure.

“You are a good man, Tyrese.” Presley said softly, placing a hand on his shoulder. He hugged her briefly.

“Were… Were a good man.” He corrected, but she shook her head.

“You will always be a good man, Tyrese.” She retorted, smiling up at him. She frowned when Daryl handed Judith into her arms, looking at Tyrese with a small, regretful frown.

“I won’t let ye turn.” Daryl assured him quietly. Tyrese nodded, but kept a faint smile as he kissed the baby’s brow. He rubbed Mika’s head as he left through the gates, Daryl in tail.

As Presley took the two girls back to the house where they were camped out at, they were all startled to hear a single gunshot. Presley bit her lip as Mika’s grip on her hand tightened, and her sobs continued to rack her body. The raven-haired girl remained quiet and not sorrowful for the sake of Mika. She hadn’t known Tyrese well, but he’d spent the last few hours of his life for the sake of somebody else. Not everybody could do that, could have that much dedication to something or somebody.

“Goodbye, Tyrese.” She whispered, even though he was too far gone to hear her.

- - - - - -

Presley laid down on her back, staring up blankly at the ceiling. Tyrese’s appearance complicated everything. They were all in danger, now having young children to look after. She wouldn’t dare abandon them, but something needed to be done. She fisted the cool sheets in her hands, blue eyes fluttering closed. For the first time in a long time, she was willing to admit her fear for the future.

“Hey.” Daryl’s voice startled her. He was leaning against the doorway, watching Presley with a concerned gaze. She had barely even known Tyrese, and here she was… Concerned about him, mourning over him. “He didn’t have long left. Asked me to end it for him before he even passed out.”

“At least he didn’t turn.” She said softly, not even looking over at him. Her joyous mood had been butchered and tossed aside, being replaced by one of confusion and the feeling of being lost.

“Yeah.” Daryl agreed, staring out at the window.

“I need to do something.” She said suddenly. She looked at him, eyes glistening. “But you’re not gonna like it.”

“I can only pray you’ll forgive me some day.” She sat up in the bed, closing her eyes. Quite suddenly, the world went black for Daryl, revealing a surprisingly calm Stefan. Presley stood and crouched beside Daryl, running her fingertips along his cheek. He would be awake soon, so she didn’t linger, but she spent enough time to whisper her apologies before facing Stefan.

“He’ll try to come after you.” Stefan said. She nodded sheepishly.

“Don’t let him.” She ordered, placing a hand on Stefan’s shoulder.

“Easier said than done.” He mumbled.

“Do it for me, Stef.” She said, offering him a smile. After brief hesitance, she pulled him into a hug, burying her face into his neck. “Goodbye Stefan.”

“No, don’t say goodbye.” He pulled away, gripping her shoulders and searching her face urgently. “You’re strong, Pres. You’ll get out of this, you’ll come back to us.”

Presley said something, but deep down, she knew that this could very well be a suicide quest. Just to make him feel better, she nodded. He drew her back into the hug. Presley, scared and broken as she was, knew that this was the only way to ensure Daryl’s survival… And Stefan and Maggie’s, and everybody else.

“I’ll be back in a few week’s time. If he thinks about it, remind Daryl that if he leaves, I’ll come back to nothing, so it’s best he waits.” She reminded him, looking down at the unconscious man on the floor. “Maggie and Glenn will stay to take care of Judith and Mika, no doubt. Make sure they’re alright, too.”

“I will, Pres.” Stefan promised quietly. “Don’t worry about a thing, okay?”

If only it were that easy. She nodded, slinging the quiver over her body and adjusting it so that it was comfortable. She had one box of bullets in her bag, many knives, a handgun, and her bow. Something told her that even that wouldn’t be enough, especially since she was taking on such a mission.

Never the less, she was still leaving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presley moved fast, racing out of Woodbury as fast as her body could take her. She didn’t use the gates, knowing that Daryl would try and track her that way. She used the escape route that they had used when she was being held captive here. Only now there was a small hole in the wall that she was able to pull herself through and then close for safety.

Determined as ever, Presley raced to get away from Woodbury. Away from the horrors of her past, away from Daryl, away from her friends. She knew that she was simply delving into bigger problems, but she didn’t care.

“We’re on our own again, Zeva.” Presley said, looking down at the trotting black dog beside her. The dog seemed happy as ever, oblivious to the fact that they had just left the safety of what could have been their home.

Presley wasn’t one to settle down, though, and neither was Zeva. She wouldn’t rest until she knew that the others were safe. With the dwindling numbers, she couldn’t risk letting them try and go without as much safety as possible.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -There ya’ll go, another chapter, with another horrible ending. I swear. I don’t mean to give you guys such shitty chapters and endings, but you know… shit happens.

As I mentioned before, a lot of action is coming, and a lot of heartbreak is in your future. I have a lot of deaths planned, many chapters planned, lots of evil… xD Don’t worry, you won’t be the only ones suffering- I dread writing all of this.

Again, the early update goal wasn’t reached last chapter, but I still posted a bit early, because I had the chapter already written up and stuff so why the hell not.

Early update goal : 340 votes

PS : I really appreciate comments, and I do my best to reply to all of your questions and nice comments. You guys have no idea how amazing it is to see you guys actually wanting to interact with the story. It brings me more joy than ya’ll will ever understand. Even just three words is enough to make me smile.

Comment, vote xoxo