f I f t y o n e

Presley was crawling over the fence when a hand wrapped around her ankle. She’d purposely left Zeva behind and avoided using the gate to avoid disrupting anybody that happened to be keeping guard. The group was still wary about anybody leaving the safety of the walls. They were weak after thriving in the protection of the prison walls- there was nothing else to it. When they’d been tossed back into the wild, many had been bitten or didn’t know how to survive anymore. This was probably why Rick had said that nobody was to leave the walls without permission.

She looked down between her ankles to see an annoyed Rick peering up at her. He didn’t release her ankle until she sighed and hopped down from the fence, landing right in front of him. She crossed her arms and glowered up at him. Secretly, he was pleased to know that the former Presley sass had returned.

“I’ve respected your decision to keep apart from the group with sleeping quarters, but you aren’t going to stomp on my other rules.” He said.

“Rules were made for breaking, Rick.” She pointed out, “I would not be Presley Scott if I did not challenge your authority and break your rules.”

“I won’t stand for it, Presley.” He said. It was hard being threatening with her. With her, everything that was said passed in one ear and out the other. She was brave and stubborn, and always refused to be treated like a child.

“Too bad, Rick.” She turned, but he grabbed her arm to keep her from leaving.

“Presley,” His voice was threatening, “It’s not safe. What are you even going out there for?”

“Supply run. Personal reasons.” She said, rolling her eyes when his expression didn’t change. “Meaning it’s none of your business.”

“Everything that happens in this group is my business.”

“Fine.” She yanked her arm free. “The underwire in my bra is stabbing me so I was going to go out and get a new one. I’m hungry for fresh meat, so I was going to try and pick up a squirrel on my way back.” She continued listing on numerous reasons for her to leave. Rick’s cheeks flamed at everything that she mentioned that had to do with being female.

“So, my kind Emperor, do I have your bloody permission to leave?”

Rick stared at her, “Won’t you take somebody with you?”

“No.” She paused, “I’ll take Zeva.” His jaw tightened.

“I guess that’s better than nothing.” He sighed. “Be back by sunset or I am personally going after you… And you know Stefan and Daryl will be, too.” The former sheriff walked away angrily, upset that he had been defeated.

Presley made her way to the front gate, thankful to see that it was only Glenn who guarded the gates. He had his legs hanging over the ledge with a gun on his lap. A yellowed crossword puzzle book was displayed over the gun, only half finished. “Rick said I could go.” She said, turning and letting out a whistle. Zeva left Mika behind and came to her owner’s side. She left through the gates, leaving Glenn to lock the doors behind her.

- - -

The sun was hot on his dark skin, but the sky was clear of any clouds. He would take the scalding heat over rain any day. The rain blocked out the sound of groans and made him more vulnerable to the outside world. He didn’t take the time to hide out anymore. He was too busy following them.

For a while, they’d been split up. He’d done his best to keep an eye on both, but it was hard when they were miles apart. Rick and a few of the others made friends, and he took care to learn each of their names. Eugene had the face of a liar. Abraham had anger issues and was one gust of wind from being taken down. Rosita? She would follow Abraham anywhere he went and take any bullet that came his way, but she was also scared of him.

Tara was another interesting character. She was newer to the group, and thought that she had to follow Glenn all because he saved her life. Sure, there was a debt to be paid, but she was taking that debt to the next level. The way she eyed Glenn made him curious, wondering if there was more to this girl than just liking girls.

He knew each of these people by name, but they never saw him. They never noticed that he was lurking in the shadows, watching their every move and just preparing for the right time to reveal himself. He found it amazing how they had been reunited, just by the daring deeds of one girl.

This girl was strange. She’d been through hell and back more times than he could count, but she always kept going. Most would break. Hell, he’d broken more than once. He couldn’t figure out who she was. He was good at reading people- an expert, really. But her? Nothing. Everything she did surprised him and took him back five steps when he thought he’d figured out a single detail about her. She was a jigsaw puzzle with no colors that matched.

So when he saw her come out of that gate, he knew that it was his chance to figure her out. She was on her own again, this time with no real mission other than her ‘personal reasons’.

He had every intention in figuring out who she was.

. . .

Omg they have a stalker

I repeat

They have a stalker

Read some of the details really closely, and maybe you’ll figure out who it is. C: If you comment a guess correctly I’ll give you a shout out.

LETTERS FOR THE TITLE: ig

So now we have ‘Trig’

No it has nothing to do with math

Sorry this chapter is kind of short L