e i g h t

"What the-." Daryl Dixon spat as a black blur sped past him, chasing after two of the young girls around the prison. Her black flur glistened, obviously just brushed. Her stride was powerful, yet, she was gentle and careful not to harm the girls. The dog yipped and dodged when the girls managed to get close. They giggled as they ran, often stumbling over themselves. Pure joy radiated off of their young faces.

"Where the fuck did this dog come from?"

"Zeva." Glenn said beside Daryl. He watched the trio with a smile. "She came here a few days ago. I'm surprised you haven't seen her yet."

Daryl frowned when he recognized the name. Zeva... Presley's dog. His eyes narrowed as he glanced at Glenn, but the Asian was already shaking his head before he could even pop out a question. "No, Presley isn't here. Relax, your package is safe." He said with a cringe. Daryl resisted the urge to backhand the boy as he shuffled further into the yard, towards the gate. Michonne would be back today, so it was important that they were ready to open the gates. The last thing they needed was to have that horse devoured because the gates wouldn't open fast enough.

"I'm surprised the damn thing came here without that girl." Daryl muttered as he continued to watch that dog spring after the girls. Lizzie ran at the dog as fast as she could, and the black dog turned into a blur as she sped away. Glenn simply shrugged.

"You be sure and watch the gates, ye hear?" Daryl said, turning towards Glenn. The Asian nodded just as Daryl began walking away. "If that horse has a bite, I'll be takin' a bite outta you."

- - -

The woods were quiet, just like the day he had met Presley. More like been attacked by Presley. He couldn't help but chuckle a bit at that memory. Who would have thought he could be taken down by a small girl like herself? He himself never would have guessed.

Daryl didn't waste time looking for small rodents. He was after something worth dragging back to the prison. Perhaps he would find luck and get a deer, or maybe even a plump boar. It wasn't just ten people that he was feeding anymore, it was dozens.

He never used to like supplying for other people, other than himself and Merle. But by taking care of more people, he actually felt needed. He felt that he had a family. That family actually needed him, and that was something that every human being needed to feel. Sure, he played that tough man act, but most of it was a bucket of bullshit. The truth was, he was stronger now that they had found their little safe haven at the prison. It was his home now, and the people in it were his family.

A big, screwed up family.

He was only tracking for around forty-five minutes when he stumbled upon the lone fawn. It laid in deep grass, the white speckles splashing across its back making it nearly impossible to see. He raised his crossbow to eye level, preparing the end the life of the young creature... But something kept him from pulling the trigger.

Perhaps because the little fawn reminded him of himself at one time. Lost, alone, scared. A small part in Daryl wanted him to give that little fawn a chance to grow and survive, to beat this world with a strong head. Sighing at his softness, Daryl stood and approached the fawn, watching as it scampered further into the woods. "If I find ye out here again, I'll kill you." He threatened, but nobody was around to hear it.

There went a good meal. He shook his head, preparing to move on, when he heard a stick snap. He raised his bow, prepared to fire at the head of the golden-eyed monster, but instead, blue eyes stared back at him.

Scratches crawled up and down her skin, dark blue and black bruises colored her skin, but he would recognize that hard expression from anywhere. Only, it was tattered and broken. Her eyes fluttered, fighting to remain open. He could see her knees wobbling, even from this distance.