t h i r t y - e i g h t

"Presley?" Stefan said quite suddenly. Everything in this world was sudden. You didn't think, you just acted. People around nowadays weren't science or math smart, they were street smart. They didn't overlook everything and focus on every possible variable... They just... Did. The only way to survive now was to act, not think. Some people had the capability and ability to act without thinking while others...

Merely survived on luck.

"Mm?" Presley said in reply, continuing to dig around in the cupboards. Almost every house in Woodbury was stocked with food- how crazy was that? She rummaged through, tossing everything that she could fit into the basket and tote bag she had. 

Stefan was silent for a moment. Act, don't think. He reminded himself, sucking in a sharp breath. "Do you like Daryl?" The words came out so fast that Presley was hardly able to comprehend what he had said. She frowned, turning towards him rather slowly. She prayed that he couldn't see her wobbling knees of sense the faintness in her mind.

"Umm.." She stuttered, throat tightening as she turned back to the cupboard. For the first time in a long time, she felt her cheeks flame. Blushing was a rather annoying habit of hers, but she'd learned how to keep it under control... Now, she couldn't even think strait. "Like how?"

"Like as a significant other." He said, too smoothly. Gods Stefan I am going to murder you. She swore silently. 

"He's a nice guy." She said, smoothly dodging the question. She thought it'd been enough, but apparently not. 

"Presley." 

"Stefan, there's fucking dead people walking." She said sharply. "Our home has just been destroyed. This isn't a book. I can't see damn light through all this darkness. Maybe you can, but I can't. I can pretend, but all I see is death. Death for you, death for me.... Death for him." She shook her head, raking her hand through her hair. "I don't have time for this I just-."

"It's the end of the world, Pres." Stefan said, softly, carefully. "It's the time to be spontaneous, because you won't ever get another chance to. The time to make jokes and be happy is now, because you don't know if you get another fucking chance." Stefan said, his voice more firm than before. "If you love him, why are you holding back?"

"I don't love him." She defended herself, frowning.

"I see it in your eyes!" Stefan roared, frustrated. Heartbroken. He wasn't one to let his emotions get the best of him, but he couldn't help it. He barely knew Presley, but he was willing to die for her, and willing to fight for her. Unfortunately for him, the feelings weren't returned. He knew that. He knew that her and Daryl were in love, and that they just needed  a push to be together. He'd been waiting so long for that push to be made, and he couldn't wait any longer. Either somebody pushed them together, or he would simply see Presley only living her life.... Not thriving within it.

Even though he wanted her happiness to be with him, he wanted her happiness more than he wanted to put an end to his endless heartbreak.

She would never completely be his, anyways... So what was even the point?

"You need to stop dodging the bullets, Presley." Stefan said, grabbing her shoulders firmly. He stared down at her wonderous eyes. Even now, even through the heartbreak he was feeling, he could feel the warmth of her beneath his touch, and those big blue eyes were still enough to make his heart flutter and skip a beat. "They're going to catch you anyways."

She continued to stare up at him, numb. She finally looked away, biting her lip before standing on her toes and brushing her lips against his cheek. It was all the thanks that he was going to get, and oddly, it was quite enough for him. 

- - - - -

"The end of the world is the best time to be spontaneous." Presley's bold voice startled Daryl, so much that he actually turned with his hand on his knife. This didn't faze her the least bit. "But I'm not usually a spontaneous person, Daryl." 

"Pres-."

"Let me finish." She interrupted, blue eyes staring into the depths of his own. "I am not a spontaneous person, Daryl, but I am not a lot of things. I have never been the girl who is capable of feeling, the girl who fears for her life." She took a step towards him. Her heart was pounding so hard she swore she could hear it echoing off the walls. "I have never been the girl who feared men, and I have never been afraid of dying... I only fear dying for nothing." She said, softly, timidly. The more she continued, the more scared she got. "I have never been afraid of being somebody I am not, so maybe that's why I am not afraid of being this right now." She stood there, hands clenching and unclenching. She didn't get the chance to finsih. Her entire body lurched forward and she propelled herself at Daryl. 

He was ready.

His arms gripped her hips when she reached him, allowing her form to press him up against the counter behind himself. Her lips found his, fiercely and passionately moving against his own. Her hand entangled in his hair and her body pressed flush against his own.

It was something he had only dreamed of.

He used her hips to pull her around and switch places with her, switching places so that she was against the counter. As if he'd done it a hundred times before, he lifted her by her hips and set her on the counter, never breaking his lips from her own. His hand found the back of her head, wrapping her soft hair around his rough, worn hands.

His hands pulled her against him and her legs wrapped around his waist. 

The closeness of their bodies created an aura of passion and love.

Though they would never admit it, Presley and Daryl were madly in love. Although it was something spontaneous and dream-worthy, it was right. There were many wrongs that went on throughout their lives, throughout their time together, but they, those two, were always a right. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A rather spontaneous, short chapter...

But I wanted to update because I have a hectic week starting tomorrow.

yay. 

BUT I WILL DO AN UPDATE THIS WEEK IF YOU GUYS GIVE ME A LOT OF FEEDBACK <3 I really appreciate it when you guys like every chapter.. It makes me feel mushy and wonderful and just... gah. perf <3 

comment, vote... ect.