t w e n t y t h r e e

"Presley, why don't you come down for breakfast " Stefan asked. A warm smile split his face. It was hopeful. She couldn't imagine what would happen if she said no. She glanced down at Zeva, who laid at the foot of her bed. The dog had just awakened and was now looking at Stefan with wide brown eyes.

"Uh sure." She mumbled, standing and draping a leather jacket over herself. Stefan gave her plenty of room to walk, and for that she was thankful. While she knew the others were only being friendly, she didn't like that they hovered over her shoulder and constantly interrogated her. She didn't want to talk about the incident.

When they entered the cafeteria, the chatty room went dreadfully silent. She wanted to play her tough act, but she simply couldn't find the energy to. Instead of holding her chin high, she allowed it to drop. She looked at the ground with a frown on her face. Her black hair fell over her shoulders, obscuring her face.

"Let's sit over here." Stefan guided her to a nearly vacant table, pulling out a chair for her. She muttered a thanks as he helped her in. "I'll go and get you something, yea?" He disappeared before she could mention her lack of appetite.

She sat there awkwardly for a few minutes, running her fingers through Zeva's silky fur. The dog was now spoiled rotten and constantly bathed and fed. While Presley had always ensured that her friend was well fed, she couldn't exactly always find the time or the resources to bathe her.

"Hey Presley." Maggie greeted, approaching the girl slowly. Presley returned the gesture with a soft 'hello Maggie', lifting her gaze to look up at the girl. The brunette sat beside her, staring forward blankly. She enjoyed Maggie's company. The girl was friendly, but she was a good shot. She would survive this world, Presley just knew it.

"I'm sorry they got you." She said suddenly. Nobody had yet to bring up the Governor deal, they simply bothered her by asking if she was alright 24/7. Presley turned her head towards the girl she considered her friend, startled by the sudden words. She wasn't angry- she wasn't angry at anybody but the Governor.

"I'm just glad it wasn't anybody else." She admitted after a while. She dropped her head. While it was a selfless thing to say and it was true, it was hard admitting it. She actually cared for these people. The raven haired girl shook her head, covering her face with her hands and resting her elbows on the table. Her dream from last night had rattled her. She had barely slept after that.

"It shouldn't have happened at all." Maggie said quietly. "Especially to you."

"Hey girls." Stefan greeted when he slipped in front of the two. His eyes were wide and friendly, just as they always were. He was sweet and tender and kind, and he was a man who didn't belong in this life style. He was a gentleman with the will to survive.

He pushed over a napkin brimming with roasted deer meat and stale salted crackers. Even though the food looked appetizing, she couldn't find it in herself to really want to eat. Still, to please Stefan, she ate slowly. The meat was good, but everything was flavorless to her.

"Presley!" A small voice exclaimed. The girl's head snapped in the direction of the voice, just as the rest of the cafeteria did. Mika charged at Presley, wrapping her arms around the girl's neck and sitting on the other chair beside her.

The girl held back an internal groan when another person said her name. She could never just have a quiet meal, could she? Still, she turned and looked at the man approaching her.

"Meet me outside in one hour, out by the training target. There's something I want you to do."

- - -

Surprisingly, she did eventually finish eating her meal. Maggie and Mika wandered off to pester other people, leaving Presley alone with Stefan and Zeva. He tried to create a friendly conversation, but all of her replies were short and stiff. Still, that didn't stop him from trying.