Ch. 22

'Maya...Maya' I felt a rough jerk on my shoulder suddenly and woke up and saw Ramsha looking at me with worrying eyes. It took me a while to register that I had woken up from a dream, feeling my warm face, I reached for the glass of water and took a deep breath when I came to the terms with the fact that all the things I said to Zain's family was just a dream. Last night felt like a blur when Zain grabbed my hand announced to everyone in the family that we were ready to accept each other as life partners. I was so taken back by the rushed events that I hardly got time to register what was going on. Our parents decided after Zain's announcement to talk in detail after I finish with Sana's wedding. I was still given some time to decide but both our parents were overjoyed with the topic of our marriage.

'What happened to you?' Ramsha sat next to me and grabbed the empty glass from my hands and placed it the night table.

'Had a bad dream' I told her, rethinking about the dream. What if I had actually done what I saw in my dream? Would Zain have done something to himself? I rubbed my face and got up from the bed.

'Where are you going? It's five in the morning?' Ramsha followed me to the kitchen as I opened the fridge to get some milk to make myself a cup of tea. The dream felt so real, what was happening to me?

'Are you worried about Zain Bhai?' She asked me and I looked at her. Was it that easy to know if I was thinking about him or not?

'Yes,' I admitted.

'He did shock us last night, he was so direct' She sat down and watched me as I started to make tea since I had a feeling that she was going to stick around for a while I added one more cup of water to the kettle.

'Want something to eat?' I asked her and she requested for scrambled eggs on toast. 

'He does like you' I heard her say after a few minutes.

'Or maybe he just wants me' I glanced at her while cooking early morning breakfast for us.

'I don't know the difference between the two...but in order to want someone, don't you have to like them first?' She asked me as if I knew the answer to that.

'Don't know about that but we had a rough start early on...even in the office he was also very cold towards me and now he wants to marry me' I informed her.

'People change' She quoted.

'Guess so' I set the food on the table and sat across from her.

'I think he will be a good husband' She conveyed her views.

'Yeah?' I asked.

'He seems responsible and takes care of his family' She pointed out.

'And Papa and Mama really like him too' She added.

'He pushes his decisions on me...last night when we went outside to talk he said I will only marry him' I notified her about our conversation.

'Wow...he is gutsy though...how many people have the courage to hold someone's hand in front of everyone and say that they are yours?' She seemed impressed by Zain's straightforwardness. Was that a quality in front of her eyes? If Sana and Ramsha were seeing the same things in Zain genuine that I found questionable...did that mean that I was looking at things from a wrong perspective?

'Perhaps you are right' I affirmed her pep talk. It helped to calm my nerves.

'I am always right' She said in a sassy tone and after a while, she returned to her room to resume her sleep whereas I tried to kill the time by cleaning around the house until it was time for me to go to Sana's house to get started on her wedding functions.