nine : motherf*cker.

I sat there, squeezing Peep's small hand in mine. We were in the waiting room, waiting for news about my mom.

There was an eerie silence in room, besides the television, that was live-broadcasting the news, and a few coughs and sneezes and sniffs, here and there.

It reminded me of when I was in the hospital, after finding out that I had a kidney problem. I was there for... who knows? It was a long time, I know that. I kind of liked being there though. The hospital's hospitality (ha ha) was conventient and it was nice getting away from the world for awhile.

But here I am, waiting. I'm not laying in the hospital bed though; it was my mother. My mother is in the hospital bed and I'm waiting for her. With my sister.

I looked over at Peep, who was bored out of her mind. I smiled at how cute she still was, despite her eyes puffy and red from crying. Her eyes were about asleep and the reflection of the TV was the only thing giving it color. When I nudged at her, she looked up at me and smiled, flustering her face into my chest.

I placed my lips on her head for comfort when I heard a cough before us.

"Um, excuse me, Mr. Shorebird," a female doctor, with a decent complexity, announced, "And little miss Shorebird," she smiled, "Your mother is okay."

My sister and I sighed in relief, but then I asked, "What happened?"

"Your mother had a breakdown due to excessive stress," she answered.

I should've known. She's been working so hard, day and night. I almost teared up when the doctor spoke up again.

"Your mother will be in the hospital until further notice. And knowing you and your sister can't be here forever, we've called for your father to pick you up."

Oh no. My sister met my eyes in shock. We haven't seen him in a year. Besides, why would he pick us up? He doesn't love us. I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't.

"But doctor-" I was interrupted by the hospital's sliding doors opening, a brusque breeze entering with no other than my MOTHER. FLUFFING. FATHER.

He was wearing an ugly, blue t-shirt matching his ugly, blue cap, some khaki shorts, and brown sandals. He looked uglier than I remembered.

I stood up in surprise, but soon was steaming with anger.

"Hello, Sherlock," I said through gritted teeth.

"Hey, kiddo!" He came walking towards me. I stepped back while my sister hid behind me.

"Aw, Princess, why are you hiding?" My dad asked, placing a hand on my shoulder while reaching for Peep.

"Don't you dare touch us," I glared at him. He stopped and stepped back, surprised.

I crossed my arms, agitated. "Where's your mistress, Sherlock?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Salem. Can you quit calling me Sherlock? I am your father. My mistress? I don't have-"

"That's a lot of bullcrap." I gritted my teeth, glaring at him. Peep was covering her ears by now and the doctor was just standing there, watching the scene. The room was quieter than before, a couple of people watching us. I think someone turned off the television.

""Who's that' my ass. She's the reason why you're gone! Why can't you understand what you're doing wrong?" I ranted, screaming in his face. He stepped back, as I was raging. "The judge should've placed restraining orders for us from you, not just my mom." I remembered the day when my mom came home with a couple of bruises on her body. "You physically and verbally abused her! You pushed her to the ground! Peep and I are lucky she wasn't seriously hurt. But look now! She's in the hospital because of you and you didn't even touch her!" By just standing there, breathing there, BEING THERE, he had crossed the line, "Get out! I hate you! You're not my father anymore! Y-you. You MOTHERF*CKER."

Peep was now crying and I was only just tearing up, covering my mouth from any other curse words that escape my mouth. I never cuss... I can't believe he did this to us. He always cooed about him loving us, his children. But if he really loved us, he wouln't have done this.

He left without a word.

I was standing there, thinking about what just happened. Peep was sniffing and I wiped away at the tears slowly streaming down my face.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and found the doctor, with the most sorrowed face. I think she teared up too.

"Um, Salem. I'm sorry," she looked down, "I didn't know that about your father. It said he was a legal parent guardian on your records and-"

"It's fine," I interrupted, presenting a half-smile, "it's not your fault."

"But Salem, now that your father's gone, who's going to take care of you?" she asked with an actual concern.

Oh yeah, about that... I had just realized the problem. I bit my lip, thinking.

Then I remembered someone. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and looked at the most recent contact on my call log.

Pressing it, I put it up to my ear with anticipation. I heard a few rings before someone answered from the other side.

"Hello?" I heard a female voice asked.

"Good evening, Mrs. Stag."

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Hello again!

I just finished writing this, while I was enjoying a delightful dinner party in a hotel ballroom.

Intense, am I right? Can I get a "holla"?

Anyway. I'm gonna go and eat and dance more.

Remember to vote and comment and

Remember that I love you! Okay, thanks, bye!