twenty six : lost boy

dedicated to @onehit_wonder because they're mad at me. sorry I love you!!

Carr's PoV:

I slid the phone from my ear and stared at my phone. I turned around and walked into the waiting room.

My mom was sitting on a chair, her fingers fiddling with the handles of her purse. She was staring into space.

My dad was pacing back and forth, his hand squeezing the top of his hips.

They were so worried.

"Biddy won't answer his phone either," I interrupted.

My mom looked up at my dad.

"Dan, it's already been an hour. I thought you said the short cut took less than half and hour to get here!"
my mom's voice started quivering.

My dad sighed, shaking his hair.

"He's coming. You know the short cut. He's probably being slow and steady—"

My mom's face went blank.

"Daniel. It's been over an hour. Slowly and steady my sorry ass."

I stared in surprise. My mom doesn't get mad so this was new. At least she said sorry.

"My son would haul it knowing that the love his of his life is in the hospital so don't tell me he's going slow and steady."

She let go of her purse and pulled her hair back.

"I'm a mother, Daniel. And my maternal instinct is telling me something is wrong with my son."

I looked at my dad who looked surprised too. He sighed.

"Okay um Carr and I'll go find him then."

"Um no? You're the worst at finding things, Dad" I blurted.

He looked at me sort of offended but he knew it was true. If we were going to find Biddy, it would be with them.

"We're here, we're here! Oh God, we're here" Ami managed to breath out. Ricky was right behind her.

Ami started bombarding us with questions.

"How's Salem. Is he okay. Are his family okay? Are you guys okay? Oh my God where is his family? Where's Biddy?"

"Ami, chill" Ricky assured her, squeezing her shoulders.

"Salem's mom and sister are sitting outside the surgery room," I explained.

"Surgery?!"

"Yup... and Biddy. Well, we need to find him." I walked towards the both of them, grabbing at them. I pushed them forward towards the exit.

"But we just got here!"

"I know. Exactly." I turned my head to my parents. "Mom, Dad, I'll call you..."

They nodded and stared into space again.
----------------------------------------------------
"Oh God, I hope he's okay" Ami murmured. I wasn't sure which boy she was talking about but I agree.

I looked at my rearview mirror and her eyes were looking everywhere out the window.

I looked at Ricky in the passenger seat.
He was quiet which was understandable. His best friend is missing. They were almost like brothers—and this is coming from his actual brother.

We were nearing the shortcut when Ricky finally said something.

"Wait are those."

Down the road, I saw little square-shapes everywhere on the ground. Some moved like little butterflies under the wind.

One hit our windshield.

They were photos. Photos of Biddy and Salem.

That's when I hit the brakes so hard.
We jerked forward, Ami screaming.

I got out of the quickly got out of the car.

"Quick, someone call Biddy."

I looked around the ground, finding the photos everywhere. I studied the ground for anything else.

I found Biddy's bike tire trail and I followed it. Then I heard a phone faintly ringing. My heart was racing now. My stomach wasn't feeling to good too.

Every step I took, I felt my legs weaken. It was my fault. I shouldn't have let him take the shortcut. I knew how dangerous it would've been since he was hurrying like that.

My reality was augmented. The ringing was growing louder. Despite, Ami squealing "I hear it. Where is it?" the ringing was almost the only thing I heard.

I took my last steps following the track when it ended at the slope of the sides of the short cut. I looked down and saw them. The phone by his face and a photo in his hand.

Shit.

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Y'all can kill me. Come at me. Fite me.
I deserve it.

It was selfish of me to come back and announce something that needed your support in. Y'all needed my story first so I apologize.

I hope this chapter pays for it.