anything for you

*

it had been a month since mike last saw his girlfriend.

one long excruciating month since thanksgiving.

but it was december now and the byers we're headed back to hawkins for christmas. el could barely hold her excitement to see mike. oh how one month could make her miss him so much. they called everyday still, but it just wasn't enough. she needed to see his face and hear his voice clearly. the static of the radio made his voice fade out sometimes which made him have to repeat a lot of stuff, the radio was annoying.

the drive from maine to hawkins was long. el couldn't sleep because she was too excited to see mike, she couldn't read anything because she was bored with the book, so she really couldn't do anything but sit still and look out of the window. el would occasionally look over at will to see what he was doing, but he would always be huddled up in the corner of his seat reading a comic. el was too shy to ask him if she could read one of his spare comics, but knowing will he would gladly give one to her. but she kept to herself and continued to stare out of the window.

el's thoughts drifted over to mike. she remembered everything about him from the last time she saw him. his mop of raven hair was slightly curled on the back of his neck and around his ears, el would always love to play with his hair. one time when mike fell asleep she and holly had took some of her glittery hair clips and put them all in his hair. he got mad but when he saw el and holly trying to hold in their laughter he immediately broke into a fit of laughter.
she smiled at the memory.

the last time she saw him he was wearing a sweater. it was a different sweater, she'd never seen it before. it was a deep blue with little knit white stripes. it was dorky but el loved it, she always loved his sweaters.

and the last thing they had said to each other was 'i love you'.

-

joyce's small car sputtered down mike's street, el was now sitting up straight looking at mike's house that was just down the road. she could see the front porch light was on, it was almost midnight when the family had arrived at the wheelers. despite the time, mike was still awake and he waited in the living room. when he saw car headlights he jumped up off the couch and raced to the front door.

when mike threw open the door he saw el getting out of the backseat and stretching her arms. mike ran out of the door and straight over to el. he ran up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. she squealed from the sudden contact but quickly turned around to place a kiss on his lips.

"ew gross guys, it's like 12." will mumbled behind them, "will just leave them alone," joyce said in a hushed voice as she ushered her son inside.

"i missed you." el said when she pulled away from him, "missed you too. do you want to go in? it's freezing out here." el nodded and went to grab her bags from the trunk.

when she pulled them out mike took it from her, "i can carry it my-"

"nope." he interrupted and taking the last bag from her hands. he walked inside el trailing behind him, he put her bags neatly on the floor and turned back to her. "you tired?"

el nodded, "im just going to change and then go to bed."

"so... where are you sleeping?" mike asked, el rolled her eyes, "downstairs. i don't want your mom to have a heart attack if she sees me in your bed."

"fine.." though mike knew he was definitely sneaking her out of the basement.

el got dressed in the bathroom and did everything she needed to do before going to the basement. she brushed through her short hair and turn the light off in the bathroom. el turned the knob to the door and quietly walked out, before she could reach the basement she felt someone grab her hand and pull her back the other way.