C H A P T E R 15

Screams had woken me up and my eyes had snapped open, forcefully due to the fact that I had been awake tossing and turning through the night because of the nightmares. At one point, I opened my window and had a smoke because the images wouldn't stop flashing through my mind like clockwork.

The screaming was the first thing that had properly waken me up and got me running to Chelsie's room. I burst into her room and saw her crying face, pushing herself back into her headboard as she stared at her bed. She continued to scream and cry as she pointed to the pool of blood on her bed and I breathed a sigh of relief, just as Josette and Drew came running, Drew with a gun.

"What the fuck is going on?" Drew shouted, raising the gun in the air ready to shoot. I eyed the gun and then Drew, raising my eyebrows at his strange behaviour and his frazzled hair. I pointed to the bed and Josette sighed with relief too as she walked towards the crying Chelsie and pulled her closer to her.

I slapped Drew on the back and then backed away when he moved the gun back down to his side, eyeing me. Grinning at him, I leaned against the wall and watched Josette move Chelsie out of the bed and towards us to go to the bathroom. "Looks like we're going to have to protect the fatso even more." I said to him as I heard Chelsie shouting she was going to die.

"Can that even happen?" Drew asked, tucking the gun into his jeans and scratching his head. I gave him a look and crossed my arms over my chest. "Dude, I've failed biology a lot but I know enough to understand that any girl could have their period at any point in their life. Plus, she's almost ten so you know...dude, shut up." I told him before walking back to my room.

Chelsie's cries had kept me up for about fifteen minutes before I pushed the covers off of me and looked at the alarm clock beside my bed. I slapped my hands on my face and dragged them down before I got out of bed and made my way back to Chelsie's room, where Drew was holding Skye and tickling her.

I kissed her head and leaned my head against hers, making her reach out to yank on my hair. I kissed her nose again and looked up at Drew, who had his nose wrinkled up and he started to sniff the air and my heart stopped for a second thinking that he had smelt the scent of cigarettes on me, but thankfully he looked down at Skye.

"Did you poop, missy? Oh, good God that smell." Drew shouted, dramatically and held Skye away as she continued to giggle. Sighing with relief again, I turned to Chelsie and saw that Josette sat her on her lap and was whispering stuff to her. The sheets were on the floor, probably getting ready to be thrown in the wash.

I scratched my chest and thought back to all the times when I thought Josette was dying because she had her monthly gift from mother nature. It was a terrible time for a growing child and even though she reassured me it was normal, I didn't believe it. What kind of a kid would believe that amount of blood would be normal?

"Fatso, go sleep in my bed." I told her as I watched the early morning of the sky come up. She was going to get a couple hours more of sleep, I couldn't even sleep anyway. "Joey, you need to get some sleep too." Josey told me but I shook my head and walked to Chelsie before picking her up and then I froze.

"She's got a pad on, don't worry." I grinned and carried my not so baby niece into my room and she sniffled on my shoulder. Laying her down on my bed, I tucked her in and bent down to kiss her forehead. She wiped away the remaining tears and I sighed with annoyance, playfully though. "You are going to be alright. Do you want me to say the words slower, fatso?"

I laughed when she glared at me but then broke the glare and a few more tears slipped out of her eyes. "I don't want to grow up, Joey." She whispered before closing her eyes and soon enough, I heard her soft snores. I stood up to my full height and exhaled deeply; I hated watching her grow up so quickly.