The Hydra Funeral - Part 2

A/N: Wattpad won't let me post the whole chapter on one page, so I'm sorry if it seems cut off at the ends of each part.

"Peggy was one of the greatest people I have ever met during the war. When I think of her, I see a strong willed, beautiful and kind-hearted woman. She's possibly one of the only friends I had who was a female, but I still got along with her. She was also one of Steve's only friends who was a female besides myself. Peggy loved Steve, and I know she always did. Peggy was always a caring person. She cared very much for Steve even before he became Captain America. When Steve and I blamed ourselves for Sergeant James Barnes' death, she assured us that we shouldn't continue with our guilt." Jessie looked out to the crowd and noticed an unfamiliar person in the back of the crowd. She thought of him as suspicious.

She continued, "But, all I can say for myself and Steve is thank you, Peggy, for being a part of our lives. We'll miss you dearly... You truly will be missed." At that moment, when Jessie looked to Sharon in who was seated in the front row of chairs, a gunshot was heard. Sharon's eyes widened as she saw Jessie's hand move to her stomach as blood began to seep through her blouse staining it. Screams were soon to be heard from the attending audience. Jessie felt two pairs of arms hold her up on each side as she was close to collapsing. Jessie looked out to the crowd to see Steve and Bucky running after the man who had shot her. She felt her eyelids begin to get heavy as she felt an arm hook under her legs as another went around her back.

"Stay with us Jess," the muffled voice of Tony Stark said as he carried her to a room at the back of the chapel, laying her on a table. Tony kept his hand pressed against Jessie's stomach, keeping pressure on the bleeding while Bruce went to find medical supplies.

"Tony?" Jessie questioned in a dreary voice.

"Hang in there, Snowflake. Bruce will be back soon." The door to the room opened revealing Sharon. She ran to the opposite side of the table from Tony and rested her hand on Jessie's shoulder.

"Jesus, Jess, I'm so sorry," she spoke. Jessie closed her eyes as she showed a small smile on her face.

"No worries, not like I haven't been through this kind of pain before," she replied. Sharon's face showed confusion as she looked to Tony.

"What does she mean?" Tony looked up to Sharon from Jessie.

"From what I know, there was a grenade accident at the camp she trained at," Tony said answering Sharon's question.

"Got hit pretty bad in the arm from shrapnel," Jessie continued from Tony's statement. "The first cybernetic arm I had was created to help me fight and protect my arm from any further damage it may have taken." The door to the room opened again as Bruce walked in with a medical kit.

"And I thought this was supposed to be a funeral, not the death of an Avenger," he said as he walked over to the table setting the kit down. Jessie winced as she felt Tony move his hand away from her stomach so her jacket and blouse could be unbuttoned. Sharon turned and moved away at the sight of the blood while Bruce and Tony stayed at Jessie's side. Once the bullet was taken out and the wound taken care of, the two scientists helped Jessie sit up on the table. Bruce wrapped gauze around Jessie's waist to hold the bandage covering the wound in place. Steve and Bucky walked into the room followed by Fury. Steve walked over to Jessie and gave her a hug. Bucky walked over and took Steve's place of giving the Sergeant a hug when the blond moved. Bucky felt Jessie's tears seep into the fabric of his shirt as she began crying.

"If it's not too much trouble for all of you, including the rest of the Avengers, to come to the Helicarrier we have in the air for a meeting," Fury said stepping forward. Tony looked at him with his arms crossed.

"Nick, how about we finish this funeral before we make any plans of having the Avengers join together," he said.

"After the funeral?"

"After the funeral."

The group walked to the fellowship hall where everyone was gathered. Tony joined up with Pepper but stayed with Bruce, Bucky and Jessie. Peggy's grandson walked over to Jessie with his son as Bucky went to grab the Sergeant a drink.

"Sergeant Evans," the man said as he shook Jessie's hand. "I'm Collin, Peggy's grandson. This is Jacob. I really enjoyed your eulogy for my grandmother, and I thank you so much for getting up and speaking. I'm also very sorry for what had happened a while ago."