9. It's Been a Long Time.. I Don't Know What You are

A few weeks had passed since Jessie got back. For a few days she stayed in her room, no human contact unless she snuck to the kitchen area to get food or if Bruce or Pepper brought dinner or lunch. Occasionally, Jessie would have a conversation with Jarvis just to have social interaction. During the rest of her time trying to isolate herself, she had a small conversation with Bucky. He told her he would help her with her memory like she did for him. During the time they spent together, Bucky spoke of the memories of himself and Jessie, the ones he truly remembered. Today, though, Jessie went back to working with the two scientists in the lab. Tony made it clear he was lonely without her around. That night, Jessie went up to the roof of the building, looking over the lights of each building. She heard the door open behind her and turned to look and see Bucky walking over his hair tied back thanks to Pepper.

“Nice night,” he said looking over the city. “So, what got you out here?”

“I wanted to come out here before going to bed,” Jessie replied. Bucky watched as she chose her words carefully. She looked at him and smiled. The Soldier noticed the scar on her top lip make the female’s smile distinct. He could see small freckles dusting across her nose, some fading when another scar was seen. Most of them were from fights in the past with bullies, but the one Bucky will always remember is the one on her forehead from when she and Steve saved him and the rest of the 107th from Hydra.

“What brought you up here?” Jessie asked breaking Bucky out of his thoughts. He seemed confused at first.

“Hmm? Oh… Uh, Stark. Being annoying.”

“Well, that’s Tony for you.”

“I don’t get how you and Banner deal with him.”

“Well, I just remember Howard and how I had to deal working with him, then I don’t know. He just reminds me of Howard.”

"Well, he is Howards son." Jessie nodded in agreement but kept quiet after Bucky finished speaking. A few minutes of silence passed as a familiar tune began playing. Jessie recognized it to being from a record her and Steve own. It's been a long lone time by Harry James and Kitty Kallen. Jessie began quietly singing along with the tune.

"Never thought that you would be,

Standing here so close to me,

There’s so much that I feel I should say.

But words can wait until some other day." Bucky looked over to Jessie a gently took her hand pulling her over to dance. He began to sing the next part, knowing the song from Jessie playing it once before at the apartment.

"Kiss me once, then kiss me twice, then kiss me once again,

It’s been a long, long time,

Haven’t felt like this my dear since can’t remember when,

It’s been a long, long time."

"You'll never know how many dreams I dream about you,

Or just how empty they all seem without you.

So kiss me once, then kiss me twice, then kiss me once again,

It’s been a long, long time." The duo continued to dance up until the song ended. Bucky pressed his forehead against Jessie’s, her eyes closed. She could feel his warm breath against her face as he leaned in, giving her and unsure kiss. It took a few seconds for Jessie to comprehend as to what was going on, and returned the kiss before Bucky pulled back. It was slightly a sloppy kiss but passionate. It felt right, but one question was running through Jessie’s mind. Why does this seem so familiar? Memories where triggered. Memories that she thought were lost but only locked tightly away in the back of her mind. The memory of the first kiss they shared, to their secret first date, to being the fifth wheel on the double date Bucky set up for him and Steve on his last day before being shipped out all because he knew she didn't want a date and he didn’t want to see her with someone else, then to the train mission and her parents funerals. The train and funerals. Both those memories bringing back sadness of not having any family left, not being able to have a funeral for Bucky if he had passed away from the train fall. The memory of the Winter Soldier was also triggered. That’s how she recognized his arm. Jessie looked up into Bucky's eyes for a split second before moving away.

"Bucky, you-you're the Winter Soldier... my... my en-"

"Jess, I’m not your enemy anymore. I promise." Jessie stayed quiet for a bit as her expression changed from scarce to anger.

"Enemy's I understand..." her expression softened slightly. "You - I don’t know what you are." She got up and walked to the door, turning the handle but stopped when Bucky began speaking again.

"Jess. You know how much I want to forget being your enemy? It pains me every time I think about it. I stopped being myself such a long time ago, it’s hard for me to remember who that was. But please, just give me a chance."

"I-I don’t know... I’m sorry." Jessie pushed the door open and walked into the embrace of the cool air of the building leaving Bucky where he was on the roof. She walked to the lab and found it to be just Tony. He looked up when he heard her walk in.

"Hey Snowflake," he greeted. She looked at him, rubbing her eyes.

"Where's Bruce?"

"Bruce? Out. Surprisingly. I suggested it. He practically lives in here. Something you need?"

"Just to talk."

"I love talking. You can talk to me. I don’t mind." Jessie told Tony about what had currently happened. He gave her a sympathetic hug before mentioning that if she ever need anything such as help with or talk about a problem that he would always be there to help her.

"You're like a sister to me, Jess. Even if you and Capsicle may get on my nerves, I love you." Jessie giggled.

"Thanks Tony. I love you too. But, are you sure you want a 95 year old sister?" Tony ruffled the Sergeants hair.

"You'll be a sister to me no matter what age you are."