19. A Message

Jessica and Bruce arrived at the meeting point with Daniel. In front of them at the briefing table stood Nick Fury and Nancy O'Donnell speaking to one another, Clint sitting on the side, the bridge of his nose pressed between his thumb and forefinger. The room was dimly lit but bright enough for everyone to see. Most of the light was focused on the boards on the wall, papers pinned to them. At the end of the table sat a computer projector, a whiteboard having been kept empty in order for projections to be shown during any meetings. It was a bunker of sorts. The style gave a nostalgic vibe to Jessie -- memories of S.S.R. briefings in London during the war.

Daniel sent a glance in the direction of the Avengers behind him before clearing his throat, trying to gain the attention of the leaders before them. Nancy, getting ready to argue, turned her gaze towards the three, Fury and Clint doing the same.

"Miss Evans," O'Donnell spoke, a hint of bitterness in her tone, still angry with Fury. "We have something you may want to see." Without further warning of what may be shown, the woman pressed a key on the computer. A video projected onto the whiteboard. Immediately, Jessica brought a hand to her mouth covering the sound of a horrified gasp. "This was recovered about half an hour ago." In view of the camera sat Bucky strapped to a chair, bruised and bloody. Strucker had come into view and began speaking.

"Guten Tag, Sergeant Evans. I do hope this message finds you well - or as well as it should considering the circumstances you and the Avengers are facing. I am well aware of your presence in die Stadt; Do not think your Bucky gave it away. As it seems I know have something you desire, I invite you to make yourself known. Agree to meet my men at the Avengers Tower and they will escort you to me. There, you will have the Winter Soldier returned to you in no worse condition.

"I request you bring the Maximoff twins. In doing so, I will trade your Soldier for them. Arrive and refuse to hand them over, Barnes will still be returned albeit much worse for the wear. I assume you will wish to avoid an unpleasant outcome. Return the twins to me, you will be free to live in peace. You have twenty-four hours, Fräulein. I suggest you do not waste them."

The video feed cut out. Having been entranced by the video, Jessie had not noticed her childhood friend step into the room. Steve placed a hand on the brunette's shoulder earning him her attention and a small jolt of surprise. Turning to him, she read the expression on his face. Sorrow and empathy. He understood how she felt seeing their friend, the man she loved, in such a predicament. Clearly, the ex-Hydra operative could withhold the amount of torture ensued upon him, but how long was he able to overcome the pain? In the time he had spent being around Jessica and Steve, James Barnes had learned how to act himself once more. Showing kindness towards his friends, being friendly with the rest of the team. It had begun to weaken his strong mentality - this Jessie and Steve saw but gave little thought.

The Captain pulled his friend into an embrace, gently rubbing her back knowing it brought her comfort. "What do you make of this, Sergeant?" Fury inquired.

"We give him what he wants," Jessie stated turning to glance at the man, her tone of voice sounding dark. "But we need a plan B. I cannot and will not hand over the twins just to ensure James's safety. They will accompany me to the Tower, pretend I am handing them over, but we'll need backup."

"Someone will need to infiltrate," O'Donnell spoke. "We could get Romanoff, or you, Barton."

"No," Jessie said defiantly. "We need someone undercover as well. If one were to infiltrate it could draw attention, and not just to certain areas of the building. I need someone, undercover, in the room with me. He never said to arrive alone. We'll need to keep anyone who does infiltrate on standby and awaiting an order."